logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Dreamweaver General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
pcspike

Default Upgrade

Hi,
Iím still using DW MX 2004 and keep thinking that I should upgrade to the latest version of DW. The obvious problem as I see it is re-writing my site, I take it I am correct in thinking this or is there alternative?
Dave
pcspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
edbr

Its not the software that dictates updating sites but web standards and search engine algorythmns. How is your site layout now?

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
pcspike

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbr View Post
Its not the software that dictates updating sites but web standards and search engine algorythmns. How is your site layout now?
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I have used templates in laying out my current site and because I am using MX it is written in HTML 4. Iíve had a look at the version history and see that version 11.5 cs5.5 supports html5. It appears that shortly after this they seem to have gone over to cloud versions. Iím not looking to paying a monthly subscription.
I see that there are versions still for sale on disk at a reasonable prices and would probably go for that option but unsure which would be the best one to go for. So any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 AM   #4
edbr

i would say you need to be clear in how you want to upgrade your site.
changing from html4 to html5 is not the issue.

I agree on the not wanting a monthly subscription. but before paying out any money at all i would be sure what you want to achieve. there are other free and cheaper web editing options available .

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
Old 08-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
pcspike

Quote:
i would say you need to be clear in how you want to upgrade your site.
changing from html4 to html5 is not the issue.

I agree on the not wanting a monthly subscription. but before paying out any money at all i would be sure what you want to achieve. there are other free and cheaper web editing options available .
One of the problems as I see it is that MX is just about running on win7, as well as the fact I intend re-doing the site anyway and there are a lot of pages. Perhaps you could explain to me about my other issues.

I have looked at other cheaper free or cheaper editing tools such as BlueGriffon and CoffeeCup but they lack the Template feature of DW which I used. Do you know of any wysiwyg html editors that have this feature?

Dave
Old 08-26-2015, 01:55 AM   #6
edbr

what i meant was you dont need to upgrade dw to change the pages to html5.
If you plan to upgrade any way that is not relevant.
Personally i do not or would i advise using dw templates.I always use incliudes and php pages but you can also include with .html pages using <object. tags. that way it does not require complete site re load , just the relevant files . but its you r cjhoice of course

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
pcspike

Quote:
what i meant was you dont need to upgrade dw to change the pages to html5.
If you plan to upgrade any way that is not relevant.
Personally i do not or would i advise using dw templates.I always use incliudes and php pages but you can also include with .html pages using <object. tags. that way it does not require complete site re load , just the relevant files . but its you r cjhoice of course
Thanks, will have a look at that.

I see that CS6 is still selling at £350 which if I stick with DW is my only option given that I don't intend paying monthly. What sort of life span do you think CS6 has?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:14 AM   #8
edbr

to be honest i dont have a clue. it will be usable for ages but as far as new web standards new trends in web design I couldnt say.

I personally stopped with dreamwaver. I still use my old version because im a creature of habit and I like the familiarity.
Once there were little good alternatives, but now thate are many options, basically DW is not on the lower price scale.
In the end it depends on what you want to do,and what you want in a web editor. for one site i would look to other options.
Many free editors, cms systems, of free website builders ( usually very bloated though in my experience.

i did a quick search for WYSIWG options and although i haven't looked at them all, maybe you want to look.

WYSIWG html editor
I see that openelement offers a template system BTW

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas