logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Dreamweaver General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
ipbr21054

Default Mobile friendly tutorial

Hi,
I have followed the tutorial shown here http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/mobile-friendly.php

Here is my page at the moment http://www.theremotedoctor.co.uk/mobile_site.html

So far i have stopped because i have checked on 3 testers and 2 advise not mobile friendly & 1 shows all ok ?
I have an iphone 5,ipad original & ipad 3 and each looks fine to me when viewed.

Please would you mind advising if i did something incorrect.

Many Thanks.
ipbr21054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Ricky55

This tutorial is a little dated now.

There are just too many devices now to set your media queries using pixel values like this. you can have phones now with higher screen resolutions than a medium size desktop computer monitor.

What you are best doing is just using responsive design and set your widths using percentages. Then use media queries with rem values. Just use your media queries based on when your content needs them rather than some artbituray pixel value.

What I mean by this is as the screen gets smaller for example when your content no longer works use a media query and change the layout accordingly.

You'd be better looking for a more modern course on responsive design on something like tree house or tuts plus.

Hth post back if you need to.

Check out my blog for web design insights.
http://www.qwerty-design.co.uk/
Follow me on Twitter: @QwertyDesignUK
Ricky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
ipbr21054

Hi,
Thanks for the reply but i am now stuck.
Do you know of a template which i could edit.
Basically i think i am unable to edit my whole site http://www.theremotedoctor.co.uk/index.html
Google sent an email about it not being user friendly.
I thought i would use this mobile friendly page then get people to click an image etc to then take them to my web based site.
Maybe a crude way to do it but its what i can do myself.
Do you have a template which has the responsive design info.
The page only needs to have minimal content but mainly allow Google to see its mobile friendly and climb above my web based site if you know what i mean.
Here is the page so far,see its minimal.
http://www.theremotedoctor.co.uk/mobile_site.html
ipbr21054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
Ricky55

Don't take this the wrong way but I'd start over, your site looks terrible and very unprofessional and in my opinion will never bring you new business no matter where it appears in the search engines.

there are loads of starter templates out there. Just search for responsive HTML starter template.

Something like this looks much better than your current set up http://www.prowebdesign.ro/simple-re...ate/basic.html

Or you could go on theme Forrest and buy an HTML theme that you can just change the text and images.

Either of these options will be better than plugging something into your existing site for the reasons stated above.

If you need any more help post back or if you want to find something let us have a look before using it.

Cheers

Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 AM   #5
vinnyvangogh

I have to agree with buying templates...
I gave up the struggle to learn hand coding long ago.
I have used Project Seven aka pvii or P7
A template costs around US$95 full How to's and a support forum.
Just change text and images to start of.. colours etc if you take time to mess with style sheets.
Templates also come with a drop down menu - with its own UI.

Which is why I stopped hand coding around Dreamweaver 4 !
vinnyvangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:39 AM   #6
edbr

Quote:
Google sent an email about it not being user friendly.
Seriously?? i would be very suss of that and just delete it. what did it say?
although i get what the guys are saying thereseems to be right sort of user call to action etc. didnt see anything that would instigate any action from google

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:44 AM   #7
vinnyvangogh

Google started sending out these warning a few months back after they declared war on any website not fully functional on a teeny weeny smartphone.
I have removed the domain name

Webmaster Tools
Fix mobile usability issues found on (domain name given)

Google systems have tested 4 pages from your site and found that 100% of them have critical mobile usability errors. The errors on these 4 pages severely affect how mobile users are able to experience your website. These pages will not be seen as mobile-friendly by Google Search, and will therefore be displayed and ranked appropriately for smartphone users.

Fix this now:

Find problematic pages
View a report of the non-mobile-friendly pages found on your site, and the issues discovered.
Inspect mobile issues
Learn about mobile-friendly design
There are a variety of techniques you can use to make your site mobile-friendly. Specifically, look for information about the issues brought up in Webmaster Tools.
Follow our guidelines
3 Fix mobile usability issues on your site
Fix the issues preventing your site from being mobile-friendly.
Not sure how to proceed?
vinnyvangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:48 AM   #8
edbr

@ipbr21054 as to you mobile design that works regarding the menu but dont put enter site. Give information, give abillity to contact you so the site functions. i suspect the visitors to your site are looking for you to get them into their vehicles or homes and wandt tp contact you most of all , not critique your design or add you to facebook

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Ricky55

I always wonder why some folks use Dreamweaver.

If you have no desire to learn web design then there are much easier and frankly better ways to get a nice looking website these days than trying to learn Dreamweaver. Working this way will only bing you headaches and crap results.

I'd just use a template type site but a quality one, something like Square Space. Or you could just buy a theme for WordPress from something like ThemeForrest.

Either of these options will be far easier for you to work with and will produce much better results that trying to work with what you have now in Dreamweaver.

Don't get me wrong Dreamweaver is a good tool for beginners to learn but just the wrong tool in your case. Its a bit like trying to service your own car. Why would you.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:10 AM   #10
eclstar

Ricky55,

What is the difference between buying a template for Wordpress and using that system, as opposed to buying a template to use in Dreamweaver?
Which method allows easier modification of the template?

Reason i ask is that I need to convert a really old site i have to responsive design, as I too have received a notice from Google.

I want to start afresh with a more modern template. I'm wondering whether to stick with DW or change over to wordpress. I'm finding it very difficult to understand responsive design in DW.

thanks
eclstar is offline   Reply With Quote