logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Dreamweaver General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Deaf Smith

Default First post

And first question!

I'm a programmer wanting to learn to use Dreamweaver to make websites. I use HTML5, PHP, MySQL, and Javascipt now and I do the web work by hand.

But, I am also a collage student at a university. here in Texas (University of Texas at Tyler.) Question is, is there a discount for buying Dreamweaver for collage students?

If so where do I go to see about this?

I do web work for a non-profit and they are willing to give me $200 to help buy it.

I use Linux computers and I understand WINE will work to emulate a MS system so I can use Dreamweaver from it. Is that true?

Anyway, thanks for any help.

Deaf
Deaf Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
d a v e

if you know how to hand code then i'm sure why you would want to buy dreamweaver?!
d a v e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Deaf Smith

I presume you cam make alot of the design with Dreamweaver and then 'tweak' it by hand (or add such things as CAPTCHA.

Dreamweaver does make HTML and PHP, right?

Thanks,

Deaf
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
d a v e

yes Dw does handle html and php (and css, etc.)

you can but then you have no control over the quality of the code - you're quite likely to end up with absolutely positioned divs and a mess of css styles unless you're careful

far better to hand code using a decent editor like sublime text and preview in browsers.

don't get me wrong: i like dreamweaver, but unless you're using it as a fancy code editor then you'll be worse off.
would be better to use paper and pencil first then fireworks/illustrator/indesign/photoshop/sketch... to make a visual if you find that half of things troublesome and then hand code it from there.

never tried using it in wine - my own wine attempts generally haven't been great but i hear it's possible - try a demo version (of dreamweaver) and see if it works on your distro under wine
Old 12-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Deaf Smith

Yes I'm thinking of the free demo (or the trial version) of it.

I work for a non-profit and they want me to get Dreamweaver (even sent me $200 bucks for it) and so I'm looking hard at it.

I have CompoZer (a Linux FREE web builder here) and that may be the best deal. Still I would feel guilty giving them back the $200 as they want Dreamweaver.)

Ok, so it may make spaghetti code. Thanks!

I'll be on the lookout for that.

Deaf
Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
edbr

i was going to suggest Komposer, i think for what you want that is sufficient, basically a wysiwyg editor. i also see blue griffon possibly.
i use windows and would go for codelobster as it supports your own class's ,good database management connection with good javascript and jquery autocomplete but idont know about using on linux with WINE

from wine re dreamweaver https://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=183

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
Ricky55

Dave is right, if you can hand code why on earth would you be looking at Dreamweaver?
Besides if you could hand code to a decent level you wouldn't even be asking this question IMO. If you know how to code you don't need to create things in Dreamweaver and then Tweak that doesn't make sense.

Dreamweaver is a tool for beginners basically, those that need a GUI to help them learn the basics of building websites and for this its very good. I found it very handy whilst I was learning. Having said this I personally feel that it can get in the way of learning if you use its GUI too much.

I don't know any pros that use it and if they do they'll be using it as a code editor and FTP. I've not used for years personally. Frankly though there are much better options both on PC and Mac in particular.

Even as a code editor I find Dreamweaver slow, you're far better using something like Sublime Text available for all OS' including Linux.

HTH

Check out my blog for web design insights.
http://www.qwerty-design.co.uk/
Follow me on Twitter: @QwertyDesignUK

Last edited by Ricky55; 12-19-2014 at 12:44 AM..
Ricky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:47 AM   #8
Deaf Smith

Ok. What we do now (or I do now) is use Bluefish editor for HTML5, Javascript, and PHP.

I have my own Apache server, MySql Workbench, and seveal editors. I even use Codebocks for C++ and have a Java compiler (which is the class I'm taking this spring at UTT here in Texas.)

But THEY want me to learn Dreamworks. I think this is because they don't know how to program but think it will be easier to learn and use.

Question, will Dreamweaver make very high class websites?

Thanks,

Deaf
Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 AM   #9
edbr

Question, will Dreamweaver make very high class websites?
no its just a tool. and they are wrong. let them use the money somewhere else

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #10
d a v e

or is this a question about editing and updating? do your clients want you to 'make' the site in DW so *they* can edit it later?