logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Dreamweaver General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
machristy

Red face Converting from Frontpage to DW

Good Day All, I am new to dreamweaver and my company is moving from frontpage to dreamweaver. All in all my team is comfortable with the transistion but the biggest issue we are worried about is the way dreamweaver opens up to want to place the test site from a PC and publish the updates to a live site. We currently work off of a test SERVER and publish to a LIVE SERVER no PC storing the site. In the past we would open the site on http://SITENAMETEST in Frontpage or SHarepoint Designer, now Dreamweaver is asking for the Network connection.

The concern we are having will be our links when we hyperlink and the publishing of new files. Is there a different setting for the site to open in the server location and not a network drive location.

I hope I am not being confusing. Please help. Thanks
machristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
Ricky55

Not sure I understand what you mean.

Dreamweaver can work with local servers but your site files must be stored on your local PC but thats how Frontpage would work.

Can you try to explain a little better.

Check out my blog for web design insights.
http://www.qwerty-design.co.uk/
Follow me on Twitter: @QwertyDesignUK
Ricky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:48 AM   #3
machristy

I am not certain I understand what you mean by my site local files MUST be on my PC.

In FP I would open up my test side of the site that we worked off of on a test server, actual web server not on a local LAN drive or PC. The site we would work off of would be http://SITENAMETEST then we would publish the updates to the LIVE side each day http://SITENAME, not test side. No place would we be saving test side stuff to LAN drives or PC hard drives.

All the books and write ups on dreamweaver seem to guide you to have the test side on a PC.

Looking for guidance if there is a setting to have it look directly at a test server.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
edbr

you can set the local server and testing server to the same folder on your local server, although i dont understand why that would be a good thing at all

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
machristy

Having both the test and live site is not a decision of our team it was an IT call about 10+ years ago and they never changed it.

I am trying to get logged into the site and am seeing this under the NEW MANAGE SITES options for Site:

A Dreamweaver site usially has 2 parts, a local folder on your computer(WHICH I DO NOT HAVE AND DO NOT WANT ON MY LOCAL COMPUTER sorry not meant to be a yell, just to stand out.) where you store and work on files, and a remote folder on a server where you post the same files to the web.

Then asks:
Site Name:
Local Site Folder:

when I try to place the test side of the folder in the location above it tells me:

/ is not a valid character in the path.

I am trying to put in HTTP://SITENAMETEST and does not like that.

This is my problem area. Please help. Thanks
Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Ricky55

Sounds like an odd set up to me.

So you have two servers? a final live server where the website resides and a testing server but both are remote?

I use a local server environment all the time but thats an apache server running on my local machine mimicking a web server so I can run server side code such as PHP.

If this is what you mean I don't think Dreamweaver can work like this as the site files have to be stored on your computer as far as I know.

Out of interest why do you work like this?

Couldn't you just download all the files from the website on to your PC and run the site from there and then just push the changes to the live site when you are happy?

You could still upload to your test server first if the point is to have a backup or to ensure all changes are working fine before going live.

What type of site is this? a bank?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #7
gentleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky55 View Post
What type of site is this? a bank?
If so, I hope it's not mine
Old 03-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Ricky55

Indeed Gentle. Btw, We are going live this week with GR (finally) I'll be in touch next week.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
machristy

Reason we are working like this is 2 fold, one our IT department is the one in command of our servers. Second is we are a team of several different people working on the same site in different locations, so to save the site onto our PC would be impossible. Would would all have different versions.

Soooo, since there seems to be every other question here about the server set up besides the one I originally asked I will ask AGAIN.

If I am working off 2 different servers TEST and LIVE can I set up my connection in Dreamweaver to the servers or will it need to be as the network connection?

If so once we do a hyperlink to other areas will it keep the server path links (../../.......) or will it make them /networkserverlocation/folder/page).

2 fold questions.

Let me know if this is the forum I need to research further or should find another. I hate to seem irritated but my original question was NEVER answered.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Ricky55

Just because this is the way you have worked historically doesn't mean its the way you have to work forever as its a silly way of working.

There are loads of better ways of staying in sync. At its most basic just ensure you always download files from the server before editing. I think DW has a check in and out facility, it used to have anyway.

You could have the files in Dropbox or you could do this properly and host the files on a private repository on GitHub.

I don't think this is possible using DW. You can certainly link to both servers but I don't think you can define a site who's files are stored on a server, a network folder yes but not a server.

This is a decent forum for DW, perhaps try on the Adobe forums if you're not convinced.

Regarding file paths just use /images/file.png i.e. / to get back to the root rather than ../../

Sorry we didn't answer your question directly but its an odd one.

Last edited by Ricky55; 03-29-2014 at 09:23 PM..