logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Dreamweaver General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Tomcat104

Default Fluid Grid Layouts

Okay guys, I need your help once again.

I recently upgraded to Dreamweaver CS6 and have been playing with FGL. Why would I choose to ever use a layout that wasn't FGL? Granted right now it's easier to do "regular" layouts but won't FGL become just as easy after a short while?

I just started playing with them so I may not have found out all the downsides. What is your opinions? I need your "sage wisdom" here to prevent me from spinning my wheels.

Would you charge extra for designing a website in FGL?
Tomcat104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Ricky55

You probably wouldn't these days although there are times when you might want to create a fixed width site.

Perhaps if the client just wanted a really simple cheap solution. Even then I'd try to talk them round but back in the real world this isn't always possible and some clients don't care about RWD as long as a site works on mobile devices. Some would choose not to work with these types of clients but that's not always an option.

You can't really charge extra these days IMO as responsive web design and fluid grids that RWD requires have now become the standard to which most modern websites are built. You do need to factor into your costs though the extra work. I now charge more for a RWD website than I used to do for a fixed width site, you have to but I never say this extra is for RWD this is just my new price. Hope that makes sense. I think if you did state extra costs for RWD you'd put yourself at a commercial disadvtange with your competitors and peers.

Don't forget that you need to use fluid layouts in conjunction with media queries to make a RWD design and frankly something that's useful and workable.

Hope that answers your query.

Check out my blog for web design insights.
http://www.qwerty-design.co.uk/
Follow me on Twitter: @QwertyDesignUK

Last edited by Ricky55; 03-23-2014 at 09:15 AM..
Ricky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Tomcat104

Default Rwd

Thanks Ricky55,

That was pretty much the decision I had come to. I do like the thought of setting a new price for all websites and putting the RWD's under that umbrella.

Thanks again for the people.

David
Old 03-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #4
Tomcat104

Default RWD - website

Ricky55,

Do you have a website? I'd like to see what you're all about.

David
Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
Ricky55

Yes mate http://www.qwerty-design.co.uk

Just in the process of replacing it actually to show case some of my work.

I'm a freelancer based in the UK, worked on the web since 2005 and freelance for 6 years.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Tomcat104

Default website

Saw what you have right now. Can't wait to see where you go with the new website.

Do you work in WordPress most of the time? I'm just starting to work with WordPress, I'm finding it very difficult so far.

I a 54 year old stroke survivor who owned a full service graphics house for 20 years. Websites are about all I can do now, as I have only one good hand. I mostly do websites for friends who need them and for myself.

I've learned a lot here and hope to learn a lot more. Because of the stroke I have a major difficulty; I forget most of what I've learned unless I can use it over and over in daily use.

Cheers,

David
Old 03-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Ricky55

Well I'm only 40 this year and I am quickly developing the memory capability of a gold fish so I can only imagine the trouble you must have.

Regarding WordPress, no not all the time just depends on the site if I'm using a CMS I do use WordPress unless it's an ecommerce site. Most web designers tend to have a CMS of choice as it makes sense to get to know something well. I do love wordpress though and like creating themes for it.

What part of wordpress do you find difficult? Just using the software or theming it?

I'll help you if there's anything particular.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Tomcat104

Default Wordpress assistance

I appreciate the offer of help but for right now, I'm just playing around with it. My biggest issue is I "expect" it to work like DW and I can't seem to find my way around.

For some reason I thought ecommerce might be easier to do with WordPress and that sounds just the opposite of what you do. I'm using Cartweaver with DW right now and it seems to work for me but I was still wanting to look around.

I think I'll just stick with learning Fluid Grid Layout for now and put WordPress on the "back burner".

Over here my family thinks the Malaysian 777 is in Iran. Where do you think it is?
Old 03-30-2014, 02:32 AM   #9
Ricky55

You can do ecommerce with WP using a plugin called woo commerce and it's good it's just not that great for large stores IMO as WP isn't as fast as more focused carts. Just used open cart for a site and it's good.

Learning fluid grids is a good idea whatever tool you end up turning to.

Regarding the plane more likely at the bottom of the Indian Ocean very sadly.