logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Community Talk > Dreamweaver Club Cafe
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
DWcourse

Default Adobe Creative Cloud

Adobe recently announced Creative Cloud, which represents a shift in focus from software sales to a subscription model. For $49.99 per month subscribers will have access to the full range of Creative Suite programs as well as additional online services and community resources.

I don't generally plug my blog posts here. But Creative Cloud is a major shift for Adobe and will impact everyone who uses their products. I think it's important to get the word out about Creative Cloud, why its critical to Adobe and what it will mean for users.

So, here is the first of two (or more articles) where I explore the topic: http://bit.ly/Creative-Cloud

I'd appreciate your thoughts and input; here on the blog or privately.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
d a v e

seems steep - not sure how much creative/master suite is? around 1,500-2000 dollars? and it lasts for at least a year, longer if you miss one or two upgrades.

might make sense for businesses, but what about SMEs? or freelancers?
d a v e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
DWcourse

Master Suite is $2,599 with upgrades from costing from $549 to $1,399. So this is about the same as owning the Master Suite and upgrading annually (not that annual upgrades are always necessary or, given Adobe's upgrade schedule, possible).

Important: Adobe has announced non-current versions of Creative Suite will no longer qualify for upgrade pricing once CS6 is released. To upgrade to CS6 you'll have to already own CS5 or CS5.5.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWcourse View Post

I don't generally plug my blog posts here. But Creative Cloud is a major shift for Adobe and will impact everyone who uses their products. I think it's important to get the word out about Creative Cloud, why its critical to Adobe and what it will mean for users.
You are right to bring this to everyone's attention. I will have an investigate and a read of your article later.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
d a v e

and what if, for example, you use only dreamweaver, and photoshop *or* fireworks? is there a pricing plan for that? i mean it's ok if you use print or video apps but if you never touch illi or after effects then is there a pricing plan for that? i'm curious how it works for the small person
d a v e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
DWcourse

Dave, under what's been announced so far your options will be:

1. Stick with the programs and versions you have now for as long as possible and then look at your options and decide.
2. Upgrade to CS6 and wait and see what happens. This will require CS5 or CS5.5. You can upgrade to CS5.5 with a 20% discount through the end of the year.
3. Sign up for Creative Cloud.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
DWcourse

BTW, the Beta of the Creative Cloud file storage and preview sharing component is now available in a free trial at http://creative.adobe.com/

My first impressions via Storify are at http://bit.ly/un7eS0
Old 11-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
domedia
Administrator

Do they have a multi-user license as far as you know? For the creative cloud.

This is the kind of thread that makes me wish we had a system to promote threads to the home page. On my list now
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
DWcourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by domedia View Post
Do they have a multi-user license as far as you know? For the creative cloud.
At the moment they haven't announced anything. I'm thinking about coming up with a list of Frequently Unanswered Questions. I'll add this to it.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
gentleone

Well written article and good research, Jim. My overall conclusion is that the Creative Cloud is the way forward for Adobe, but maybe it's also a personal preference to me. I'm all in for cloud based software, storage and sharing. Keeps my comp clean Looking at the objectives form Adobe it does cover a lot of usefull ones all together in one cloud and if they integrate an awesome project management system with it in the future, then I might consider to go for Adobe Cloud.

The free trial comes with 20Gb storage which is quite a lot, but a downside is that you can't share a complete folder (collection) otherwise I think I would have drop (punch ) dropbox already.

Anyways... i'll keep an eye on it and see how they progress with the features they want to include and looking forward to experiment with the Creative Suite in their cloud.

Last edited by gentleone; 11-16-2011 at 07:52 AM..
gentleone is offline   Reply With Quote