Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Flash
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
domedia
Administrator

Default Adobe drops flash for mobile

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ash-focus.html

Quote:
We will no longer continue to develop Flash Player in the browser to work with new mobile device configurations
With the increasing support for HTML5, this might be the nail in the coffin for Flash.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
gentleone

They know that Flash doesn't have a future anymore on the web, so I can imagine their decision. The future of rich animations is canvas, webGL and CSS3 animations.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
domedia
Administrator

I wonder what they think of their purchase of Macromedia in hindsight
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
gentleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by domedia View Post
Yes, I think they're scratching their heads by now.

And it seems Microsoft is going to give up on Silverlight as well
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/25...r-next-release
Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
edbr

ask not for who the bell tools.
i would have thought they would have waited and watched apple for a while incase of policy change in the circumstances. I guess they know the answer already to that

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
DWcourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by domedia View Post
I think they've done alright off of the Macromedia products. I think the real problem is Adobe management.

And speaking of which, in other news:

Adobe Creative Cloud and Adobe Creative Suite: New Choices for Customers

Quote:
The Adobe Creative Cloud consists of:
Desktop Applications — Every tool that is currently in Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection, such as Photoshop®, InDesign®, Illustrator®, Dreamweaver®, Premiere® Pro, After Effects®, as well as innovative new tools that are currently in beta, such as Adobe Edge and Muse.
Touch Apps – Starting with the six Adobe Touch Apps announced at MAX , 2011 – Adobe Collage, Adobe Kuler, Adobe Carousel, Photoshop Touch, Adobe Debut, Adobe Proto and Adobe Ideas.
Services – A version of Adobe’s Digital Publishing Suite for delivering interactive publications on tablets, a tier of Adobe Business Catalyst for building and managing websites, and access to cloud-based fonts for website design from our acquisition of Typekit.
Community –Collaboration features that allow members to share their creative work with other Creative Cloud members and forums to discuss and inspire new ideas.
We are excited to announce that membership to the Adobe Creative Cloud will be available in the first half of 2012 at a price of $49.99 per month for individuals and $69.99 per month per seat for workgroups, both for an annual plan.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
gentleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWcourse View Post
Interesting... and these lines are also interesting if you don't want to use their CS cloud, but prefer to keep on using CS for desktop.
Quote:
With regards to upgrades, we are changing our policy for perpetual license customers. In order to qualify for upgrade pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest version of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions). If our customers are not yet on those versions, we’re offering a 20% discount through December 31, 2011 which will qualify them for upgrade pricing when we release CS6.
So, from next year no upgrading anymore from old versions... you'll have to buy the full new release.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
DWcourse

So, if you have DW CS4 and want to upgrade it's basically $160 (with the 20% discount) now to get to DW CS5.5 and then another $150 to $200 (just guessing) to get CS6 when it comes out next year. So, by spending $300 plus just to get to DW CS6 . That's more than halfway to licensing the whole Creative Suite through Adobe Creative Cloud and you get access to some other features like TypeKit.

I'm sure Adobe is hoping this will convince most folks to go with Creative Cloud and generate an ongoing revenue stream for them.

Another possibility is that, once people are forced to reevaluate their commitment to Adobe products, they'll start finding alternatives. I'd say it's a real opportunity for Adobe competitors and open source alternatives.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
johnMoss

Quote:
Another possibility is that, once people are forced to reevaluate their commitment to Adobe products, they'll start finding alternatives. I'd say it's a real opportunity for Adobe competitors and open source alternatives.
Could not agree more... HP got bumped hard on assumptions of brand loyalty and one might think a suitable poster child for the high & mighty in the cyber community.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
domedia
Administrator

Quote:
What are those alternatives?