logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Spry
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
AbNormal27

Default Help Stop The Jump Up

Hi There,

I have developed the following page to work on IE 7 & 8, Safari, Chrome, Opera, and Firefox.......

http://www.tottengroup.com/java/search1.htm

...... and it works fine on all browsers, unless you make a menu selection and navigate away from this page, and then go back to this back.

Give it a try, you'll see what I mean. For example, if you scroll over "Commercial Casualty" and selection "Airside Liability" from the list, and then go back, you won't be able to scroll to the bottom of the Commercial Casualty menu. It keeps jumping up and won't allow you to see the bottom of the menu(s), unless you refresh the page.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this so users don't have to refresh the page?

Aaryn
AbNormal27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
gentleone

Hi Aaryn, I'd recommend to rethink that whole navigation in the first place. It's unusable on my 1440 x 900 pixels (17") screen. The flyout submenus disappearing of my screen at the bottom. I see there are a hell of a lot of pages and IMO this flyout menu is not the way to solve that problem.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
AbNormal27

gentleone, thanks for the critique, but that doesn't help solve the issue I'm having.

Aaryn
Old 10-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
gentleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbNormal27 View Post
gentleone, thanks for the critique, but that doesn't help solve the issue I'm having.

Aaryn
No it doesn't, but why solving an issue on a navigation while the navigation system itself is an issue? I can't imagine that your client agrees upon a navigation that is partly not accesible to their website users.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
AbNormal27

gentleone, do you not have a scroller on your mouse?

The navigation does work. Trust me, give it a try, you CAN scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

Everyone is happy with this page, save for the issue I've described above.
Select a product page and then come BACK to this page, it's THEN that the page acts up and you have to refresh.

Aaryn
Old 11-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
gentleone

Quote:
gentleone, do you not have a scroller on your mouse?

The navigation does work. Trust me, give it a try, you CAN scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

Everyone is happy with this page, save for the issue I've described above.
Select a product page and then come BACK to this page, it's THEN that the page acts up and you have to refresh.

Aaryn
Yes. after visiting that page for the fifth time, I've noticed I had to scroll with the mousewheel when I'm ontop of the submenus, but will their users figure it out for themselves. Seriously, that navigation can be really frustrated to them, especially for those tech-savvy, and I can imagine that. In fact... users shouldn't have to think for themselves how a navigation works... it should be very clear to them within 3 seconds. If not... well, they'll probably go to a competitor's website that has a navigation system which looks/behaves familiar and is easy to use.

You say everyone is happy with this page, but you didn't had to explain to them how that navigation works?

And please don't get me wrong... I might sound like a smart-ass, but I'm just here to help you with a problem that is much bigger then your original question.

Please read the following post and I suggest to get the book aswell, because it should be on every web designer's bookshelf who's not a usability expert.
http://www.uxbooth.com/blog/10-usabi...make-me-think/

Last edited by gentleone; 11-03-2011 at 10:08 PM..
gentleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
AbNormal27

gentleone, feedback of any kind, positive or negative, is always good.

But opinions are sometimes like bellybuttons..... everybody has one, and while I do appreciate your input, you fail to understand that you are not addressing my original question, and are instead just giving your opinion.

With regards to your opinion on how this page is laid out, this page was discussed, critiqued, and developed over several months by an entire team of people who saw several different designs and concepts that I presented to them. Through this process, we arrived at the page which you see now, which has been well received by the overwhelming majority of the Brokers, Underwriters, Managers, and other users who are on our site everyday.

The only issue that has been brought up, is the one I have asked the members of this forum for help with.

Now, if you'd like to continue to share your 2 with me on your opinions on how to design a web page, I'd invite you to PM me because I don't think these forums were really intended for debates.

Otherwise, I would appreciate it if you would PLEASE concentrate on helping provide me with a solution to having to refresh this page once you navigate away from and back to this page. THANK YOU.

Aaryn
Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
gentleone

Aaryn, if you say it is all planned out carefully and widely accepted by their users, then who am I to judge this design decision. I still find it a desaster to navigate that menu and I'm sure I'm far from not alone in this.

And now the answer to your question, The spry menu you choose for this is not made for the way you want to use it.
The thing is that the submenus (ul) are absolute positioned relative to the main menu link (li) and they don't like to be scrolled up and down, because once again the spry menu is not made for these kind of unorthodox behavior. Why it's only working on page load or refresh... I don't know... you're probably lucky, but you'll need to find another way to lay out that navigation. It sucks anyway.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Corrosive

Quote:
Now, if you'd like to continue to share your 2 with me on your opinions on how to design a web page, I'd invite you to PM me because I don't think these forums were really intended for debates.
Actually, that is EXACTLY what forums are for! The fact that we are able to help some people out with their problems is a bi-product of having good and experienced people here and not the main aim. If web users and designers didn't discuss important issues like usability in public forums then the web would never move on and get better. That's my 2cents worth anyway.

That said I can't actually replicate the problem you are experiencing. It works fine for me. Chrome on XP.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
AbNormal27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
I can't actually replicate the problem you are experiencing. It works fine for me. Chrome on XP.
Thank you, duly noted. I appreciate you letting me know.

Aaryn