logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Hand Coders Forum > HTML and CSS
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
dbepp

Default IE 8 issue with CSS Background

I am having an issue with IE 8 not displaying my background as specified in CSS. It will quickly flash on the screen while loading but quickly disappears leaving a white background.
This is not an issue in any other browser or version of IE.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

http://www.odysseynashvillerecords.com

And I just noticed I posted this in Dreamweaver General instead of the HTML and CSS forum. I apologize but I'm not sure how to move this thread.

Last edited by dbepp; 09-22-2011 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Wrong Forum
dbepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
gentleone

In brandonscottsmith.css, style.css and on the page itself you declare all kinds of styles on the background property. A couple of times its just background and then somewhere else background-image. You might want to sort this out, because it could be that the background image doesn't override the background color in IE8. Don't ask me why... IE can do real crazy things.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
dbepp

The style.css is for the nivo-slider.. I removed the background and image properties just to be sure there isn't a conflict.. but that didn't do the trick.

The css on the page is the same as that on the external sheet brandonscottsmith.css... I know it's redundant, but if I remove the css on the page, then the background doesn't show up on any browser for the index page..

Not sure what's going on because it's working on all other pages!?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
gentleone

hmmm... weird... I had a look, but no luck so far... there are quite some validation errors on your page, but they're likely not the cause of the problem (most of the errors are in that image rollover javascript).

IE8 itself gives an error as well, but I beleieve this has also nothing to do with the issue.
Quote:
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0)
Timestamp: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:32:22 UTC

Message: The XML script engine does not support script fragments. This error was probably caused by having a script tag with the language attribute set to "XML" or the text attribute set to "text/xml" before any other script tag on the page.

Line: 69
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://www.odysseynashvillerecords.com/
Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
dbepp

Perhaps I will rebuild the index page beginning with the core of another page that is working.. I hate to waste all this time and effort for something that seems to have an easy fix. And I'll look into the error.. not sure if it will have an effect his audience.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
dbepp

So I have checked, double checked and then checked again... all my css properties are in correct order (as IE8 is extremely strict), there is nothing usurping the bg image.. and that others are having an issue with this as well.
This is going to drive me crazy! There must be a simple fix..
Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
gentleone

I looked at the source of the about page and I see that there you have only brandonblabla.css, so the conflict on the home page is coming from one of the other styleheets. To check from which one is to comment them all out and turn them one by one on by removing the comment tags.

By the way, I see (In firefox 6 mac) on your homepage the background image (bg_final.jpg) twice only one is overlapping the other with around about 150px on the left of the screen

Another thing I've noticed, but not related to your issue, is that at the top of styles.css you use a css reset and this is good, but a css reset should be the first styles a browser should parse. What you do now is for instance setting all the margins and paddings you've declared in the previous stylesheets on your divs or heading tags back to zero.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
dbepp

thanks for the info! I haven't been doing this very long so I appreciate your help..
Last night I added a wrapper div and added the bg to that... which seems to be working (kinda), but as you commented..leaves the bg twice on the homepage.
However, I'd prefer not to go this route as it also shifts everything a few pixels to the right. So I'll comment each css out until I find the issue.
Thanks and I'll post the fix
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
gentleone

Give me a bit and I'll show you how I would layout your pages with that background image.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
dbepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleone View Post
Give me a bit and I'll show you how I would layout your pages with that background image.
That would be much appreciated.. I'm always learning