logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Hand Coders Forum > HTML and CSS
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
CatastroficCat

Default Would I create a CSS conflict if I use a Template that has the CSS buried in it

Hi. Would I create a CSS conflict if I use a Template that has the CSS buried in it, and then make an external CSS style sheet and link it to that same Template. Would that create a conflict please?
CatastroficCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Corrosive

Anything could create a conflict. if you target a div or other tag with CSS in an external stylesheet and then have conflicting styles below the link in the head tags or even inline then you'll get conflicts and one will override the other unless you expressly tell it not to.

Moral of the story? Use one external stylesheet for your pages. The whole idea of CSS is that style is separate from content
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
CatastroficCat

Thanks for that. I was afraid that would be the case. So really that means that I can't use the DW setup templates, right? I have to create my own from scratch? ~ I'm a true beginner, as you can tell.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Corrosive

I would say the built in templates are a good learning aid. Try pulling one apart and see how it all works. You have a lot of learning to do before you will be ready for a production quality website anyway so you may as well get stuck in!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
CatastroficCat

Smile Thank you, Corrosive!

Thank you Corrosive. I have already had a play around with templates following a tutorial I watched on YouTube and that lead me into this worry about the conflict. I have previously built 3 websites (only for family members) and have now been asked to create a “paying” one..!! So, I’ve been working hard on finding all the pitfalls this time before I commence. If it’s not too too much to ask, I wonder if you’d be kind enough to check out the 3 I’ve done for my family (non paying, of course!!) before I launch into my paid one (which will only be a nominal fee anyway) and…. could you please give me constructive feedback? I hope that’s not being too cheeky!!

Mine…. www.swaddling.net

Lisa….. http://www.thescottcentre.co.uk/ (daughter)

Mike…. http://www.mikeswaddling.co.uk/ (brother-in-law)

Thank you.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Corrosive

Not cheeky at all. It is nice you are asking and good that you are checking

Really, your main issue is semantics. You should give an accurate guide to the content of a tag by what tag it is you have used. Every tag has a specific meaning or use. For example, the menu on your daughter's site is in tables, which are really for tabular data (think about a spreadsheet and you won't be far off). A menu in HTML is best as an unordered list of links;

Code:
<ul>
<li>Link</li>
<li>Link</li>
<li>Link</li>
<li>Link</li>
</ul>
Also your use of paragraphs and headers (h1 - h6) could be better.

Indeed you are using tables for layout in a few places. These should be div tags ideally.

Also you are creating spacing using non-breaking spaces and empty paragraph tags;

Code:
<p>&nbsp</p>
This should all be handled by the CSS. Modern standards is total separation of style from content.

Plus I'd put all your styles in a separate style sheet for easy updating.

You are getting there, you just need to get to grips with the meanings behind tags and make sure you use the correct tool for the job. You can hammer a nail into a piece of wood with a shoe... But a hammer is far better

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by Corrosive; 09-03-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Old 09-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
CatastroficCat

Hi Corrosive, thank you so so much for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it very much. I was wondering about the "spacing" issue!! I'll take a good look at what I'm doing wrong there, thanks for guiding me.

I feel like I get the whole idea of it, with foggy specs on!! If you see what I mean? Websites, html and DW are a whole BIG subject but, one I totally enjoy.

Thank you again for your help and advice. Much appreciated.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatastroficCat View Post
I feel like I get the whole idea of it, with foggy specs on!! If you see what I mean?
Yes, absolutely. I was there a few years ago The fog does begin to clear!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
CatastroficCat

lol ... I'm looking forward to it but, with help from people like you and forums and video tutorials, it's very helpful, thanks. I just wish the teacher I'd paid good money for had been clearer to understand, hey ho, but I think I'm getting there. Cheers. Di
Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
CatastroficCat

You're right.... I was creating
<p>&nbsp</p>so I've deleted those now from my new site and will do the same with the others, thanks