logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Web Hosting and FTP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
melissasteph

Default My Get/Put buttons are grayed out

Using DW CS4 -- This happened all of a sudden. Used to be I'd edit my pages, File>Save as I went along, to save my work, and then I'd upload using the Put button when I was ready to update my site.

All of a sudden it's changed. Put and Get are both grayed out now and every time I click File>Save it connects to the server and uploads the whole site.

Does anyone know how this happened or where the problem is? I'd like it to stop connecting and I'd prefer to use the Put button.

thanks in advance,

Melissa
melissasteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
DWcourse

In the site setup dialog under advanced options there should be an option something like "Automatically upload files to server on save." Make sure it's unchecked.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
melissasteph

When I got to Site>Edit the Advanced option does not show, I only get the {Configure Server} smaller box where I can put ftp settings. I'd like to start over I guess. Shall I define a New site and set it up newly then download what's up on the web into that new site?

Maybe there is an option to get to Advanced I don't know of. Thanks for you prompt reply, btw. Well done.

Melissa

Last edited by melissasteph; 08-22-2011 at 03:20 AM..
Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 AM   #4
DWcourse

Take a look here http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamwea...-6EC283FE7645a

Notice in the image the option to "Automatically load files to server on save." Make sure that's not checked.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
melissasteph

I see that image and that is the window I can't see anymore, and yes, and in that image I see that box you are talking about un-checking if it's checked.

When I click on Sites>Manage Sites up comes a smaller window with a list of all my sites. I select the one I'm talking about and then I get another window titled Configure Server - no tabs at the top for Basic or Advanced. So I don't know...

Maybe I can erase this site, reopen it newly and get to Advanced that way. I am determined. I want to learn. Thank you. I do see the box to uncheck on my other sites. Something's wrong with *this* site, it's stuck in broken.

M.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
DWcourse

OK, no need to erase anything. Just define a new site. For the remote info use the same server info and for the local info point it to the same folder the site is in now. If you get a warning that you're already using that folder for another site just ignore it.

If the new site works you can delete the old definition in the Manage Sites dialog.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
melissasteph

I tried making a "new" site last night and it did give me a warning that there is already a site like that, so I heeded that warning and then decided to go and watch some TV, figured I'd take it up again today. Thanks for that I can ignore it. Good to know.

I'll let you know how it all turns out!! -- Melissa
Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
melissasteph

I have my three different sites on the C drive, all in a folder called Projects. Then each site is in a unique sub-folder inside that Projects folder.

So I am making a "new" site to fix the Put grayed out problem with one of the sites. If successful will I be in danger of creating confusion with any of the other sites? It's telling me beware of synchronization conflicts whatever that is. Should I be afraid? it's saying that what I am trying to create is in the same folder as another site.

The path to the folder in question is incorrect. I have to get that right or it will never work.! That may be the problem right there! - M.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
DWcourse

You need to point to the folder the individual site is in not your "Projects" folder.

Say your problem site is in the folder, "Bob" inside the "Projects" folder. So the existing site definition should point to "Bob". If you create a new site pointing to "Bob" (or any folder within "Bob"), Dreamweaver will give you a warning because working on one site could change file on the other site. So normally you want to avoid that.

However since you'll be getting rid of the old site definition once you have the new one working it's really not an issue in this particular case.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
melissasteph

OK then. Wish me luck. I don't like the file structure of the problem site anyway and so I think I'll address that first, get it cleaned up. Then I'll create a new site. I am frightened but forge ahead.