logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > SEO
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
cocoonfx

Default Sites gone from Google

Hi Chaps,

I have noticed that my site is no longer on the top page of google for my keyword search. In fact I can not find it in the first 10 pages. I was in position 3 or 4 for web design tamworth and website design tamworth, and SEO tamworth. Have google changed things?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
johnMoss

The Google algorithms change frequently. A direct link to your site I got at the bottom of page 3 for the first & second keyword list you gave. I did get you on page 1, five down organic, but it was an online web services directory, and the link was broken.

Here's a bigger issue, your title:

Code:
<title>Cocoonfxmedia based in Tamworth Staffordshire - 
professionally web hosting provider - Ecommerce - SEO - Internet
 Marketing</title>
This is descriptive, I'd be more specific to the search phraseology. And keep it to 70 characters or less. And uh, dude... Grammar...

Very nice front page by the way.

Last edited by johnMoss; 06-11-2011 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
domedia
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoonfx View Post
Have google changed things?
Yes, I think there was just an update to the algo. Called panda or something.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
DWcourse

The Panda upgrade was intended mainly to penalized sites with lots of unoriginal content ("spammy" sites and sites that scrape content) but there may have been some collateral damage.

A couple things about your situation:

1. SEO is an ongoing process. Once you make it to the first page (or even #1) you can't expect to stay there if you don't keep improving your site and gaining new links. After all that's what your competitors are doing and, if you stand still, pretty soon they'll pass you.

2. SERPs can vary wildly for short periods of time (or even between datacenters at the same time). The important thing is to monitor trends over time. A drop can be caused by a lot of reasons and may only be temporary. If you monitor things you can probably tell if you have a real problem or just a temporary one.

3. What has been the impact on traffic to your website? Does being in the top 3 or 4 for "web design tamworth" actually bring in traffic?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
cocoonfx

it seems that one or two pages on my website gave caused the problems... I have removed them and also sorted out the title.

The search keywords do bring me traffic but social media is now bring me a lot more )

I have found a tool for twitter which has increased my hits 10 fold.

http://www.tweetadder.com/idevaffili...e.php?id=10666
Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
DWcourse

I'd be curious as to what percentage of the socially generated visits convert for you (into inquiries or whatever). Do you think those visits are as targeted as search visitors?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
cocoonfx

social hits would not have as high value you as search results as when someone is searching as there actually looking for a service. Social marketing in my view is to develop the brand and company profile. You can target in Twitter and in Facebook by finding accounts geographically. (you will need tools to do this)

The percentage guild (money wise) will be smaller than direct searches but the number of hits from social marketing can indirectly bring in business.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
DWcourse

I got that, I'm just wondering whether you think your social media efforts are paying off as opposed to putting those efforts into "traditional" SEO (mainly link building) and driving search traffic.

Personally, for my web design/development work I haven't found either terribly effective and rely more on networking and word of mouth.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
cocoonfx

I would say that social marketing has a quicker result than the traditional SEO. Good quality back links, writing articles etc... take time to build and find, social marketing a tweet can drive a lot of traffic in one go...

Like you say word of mouth and even off line marketing actually gives more than any kind of SEO. I get more from adverts in the local rag than SEO. But you have got to be seen doing SEO as its key to any marketing strategy.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
domedia
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoonfx View Post
Social marketing in my view is to develop the brand and company profile.
The way you describe it, you use it to increase SEO. Using software to tweet for you is hardly a reflection of your brand
Closed Thread