logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Web Hosting and FTP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
WebEditor

Default migrating website -- interim

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and fairly new to Dreamweaver.

I have to do the following:

Move a website with domain name xxx.com from server A to server B.

Server A is a Windows server and the site xxx.com was originally generated using FrontPage. Server B is a UNIX server -- good! But because of the underlying server change, I need to test the functionality of the entire site on Server B before redirecting the registered domain name to the new server.

I now have two sites set up in Dreamweaver: one that FTPs to Server A and one that FTPs to Server B. At the moment, the local files are identical copies residing in two different local directories, call them directory A and directory B.

Here's where I need help. I want to change all of the links in files in Directory B that are prefaced with the domain name xxx.com to links that are prefaced with the new server B's remote directory name aaa.bbb. That way I can upload them to Server B and they will interface with each other rather than pull me back to xxx.com on Server A. When I am done testing, I will want to universally change the link preface aaa.bbb back to xxx.com, and then I can redirect the domain name to the new server.

So: how do I do this in Dreamweaver, that is, change every link in a DW site that begins with "xxx.com" to a link that begins with "aaa.bbb"?

It's probably obvious, but I do not complete understand Dreamweaver site jargon so I don't trust my interpretation of ir.

Thanks so much for any help!
WebEditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
DWcourse

Normally I'd say backup first but you're already working on a backup do you have that covered.

Next make sure that your local site is defined/set up properly.

Choose menu: Edit>Find and Replace…

In the dialog:

1. Choose Entire Current Local Site from the Find In menu.
2. Choose Source Code in the Search menu
3. Type http://xxx.com in the Find field (you may alos need to redo the Find and Replace with http://www.xxx.com depending upon how the links are set up).
4. Type the replacement into the Replace field.
5. Click replace all. Get it right, you won't be able to undo it!

BTW, you could just enter a back slash ( / ) in the replace filed to make all the links relative to the root folder of the server. Then you won't have to change them back (so http://www.xxx.com.index.html will become /index.html).

If you had used links relative to the site root or the document in the first place you wouldn't have this issue now.

BTW, you may be in trouble if you used any FrontPage extensions.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
WebEditor

Default Migrating site...

Thanks for the advice. I'll do that global site replace.

BTW, I am cleaning up this site for someone else... Yes, there are Front Page extensions that aren't migrating, so I'll have to replace those.
WebEditor is offline   Reply With Quote