logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Photoshop
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
johnMoss

Default Low Res Photo Expansion

This somewhat drifts into Illustrator, but would like to get a discussion going and see if some methodology can get refined. Today I spent some time expanding a 72 JPEG 185 x 112PX with the intent of a finished product of 300 TIFF 5x7 inches. This of course is for print setup, and yes I'm barking up a tree, but I'm stubborn enough to try to pull it off anyway.
In the following I didn't try differing variances of trace as I was on a timeline, but the dialog I'm looking for here is it's proper use...
Opening in Illustrator, and with such a small file, it was my supposition to garner as many anchor points as possible and I did, 49,000 of them as I expanded it out to 6000 PX wide via vector trace. I went over the top in the hopes of reducing this to size and having an acceptable rendering. Saved as an EPS and transferring into PS, it was not pixelated at all, yet even after reduction to 1800 PX wide it nonetheless remained rather waxy looking.
Some success was incurred through the use of satin & colored secondary overlays, shadowing, and good 'ol Gaussian blur, yet despite my best efforts was in the end unusable at the size needed.
Anyone been down this road?
My anchor points were set to .5 PX, as well as the other parameters. Did I go to far? Is it better to increase the anchor area? Any links to advanced photo resampling? Texture extensions for photoshop?
johnMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
domedia
Administrator

185x112=20k pixels. This is unfortunately all the data you have, and you cannot get more (that are 'true') because they don't exist.
You want to make it 1500x2100=3,150,000 pixels. You have less than 1% of the data needed to make it perfect.

That said I have no idea what your image looks like, and what you want the end product to be. <= these two would decide the approach.

How about linking to the jpg so people can put their skills to a test and see if they can come up with the right approach?
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
johnMoss

I'll do that... & this will be fun. The objective is to pull a drape cover image over a car, and transferring it to another; one problem in the moment though, I can' t post the image yet, it's a 2012 Audi shot, hush hush under wraps, etc...
Old 06-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
domedia
Administrator

Sounds like a flash animation I did back in 2000
Old 06-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
DWcourse

Perfect Resize (formerly Genuine Fractals) can do some amazing stuff increasing the resolution of a photoshop image. http://www.ononesoftware.com/product...erfect-resize/
Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
johnMoss

Quote:
fractal-based interpolation algorithms
1) Awesome, I gotta check this out.
2) Repeating this phrase in public is certain to make me sound really cool in tech circles
Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
johnMoss

Jim, do you have an active copy of this?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
domedia
Administrator

There's a free trial on the website
Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
johnMoss

Yeah I figured that, but I'm sure there's watermarks.... Unusable so curious if he's had success with it if he possesses a live copy...
Old 07-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
charliestallingsdesigns

ok im trying to see if i get this right .... what your trying to do is just resize an image? depending on the image you may even be able to use photoshop and do content aware scaling it will not distort the image and it might help you. as far as the drape that would be a animation ... you can alsodo animations in photoshop but id really suggest going with flash. so it would look like the car is being unveiled. for example you can resize the image and then you could design the drape as well in photoshop then export them both to flash then do the animating in flash... would look nice
charliestallingsdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote