logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Hand Coders Forum > CMS (wordpress,Drupal,joomla etc)
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
tahsin1982

Default dreamweaver to joomla?

Hi guys,

Anyone here tried designing a site in DW and bringing it into joomla? I tried to create one page to experiment and I failed miserably,

http://tahsinwonders.net/joomla/

I just dont know how to get rid of the index page title name as you can obviously see about the welcome heading. Also the date and author name and footer I had to remove because it did not at all match the css the copyright of joomla is always there.

Any help is much apreaciated

Thanks!
tahsin1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Corrosive

Do you definitely want to use Joomla? ModX is another CMS that is easier to transfer a DW design into; http://modx.com/
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
tahsin1982

I never heard of them before but since you said its easier to do it with dreamweaver Ill take your word for it.

cheers!

Last edited by tahsin1982; 05-22-2011 at 01:34 PM..
Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
gentleone

The title that you see above your 'Welcome' you can disable in the admin. By default it's set to show the title.
The footer is a module (mod_footer) which you can override with your own code in a sub directory called 'html' in your template directory or disable the module and write your own footer code in index.php like you have now.

Converting from HTML to Joomla is not a time consuming task and I see you came a long way. You didn't fail miserably at all. The only thing is that you have to think ahead which modules you're going to use and where you're planning to load them into your template.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
tahsin1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleone View Post
The title that you see above your 'Welcome' you can disable in the admin. By default it's set to show the title.
The footer is a module (mod_footer) which you can override with your own code in a sub directory called 'html' in your template directory or disable the module and write your own footer code in index.php like you have now.

Converting from HTML to Joomla is not a time consuming task and I see you came a long way. You didn't fail miserably at all. The only thing is that you have to think ahead which modules you're going to use and where you're planning to load them into your template.
Thank you so much for the feedback I really appreaciate it. I dont want to give up on joomla its just the back end of joomla confuses me completely liek the category, section and articles. Its like the index page ok I have this layout.

Then lets say the service page I want a different layout and I have no idea how to do that. Do I create anohter template with moduele and upload and link it with the service link?

Sorry for asking too many question I think I better get look up on more basic tutorial of joomla.

Thanks and wish everyone a great long weekend!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
gentleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahsin1982 View Post
I dont want to give up on joomla its just the back end of joomla confuses me completely liek the category, section and articles.
Yes, I agree with you. Jooma is originally a blog/news CMS and that's why they came up with a structure like this this and it can be quite confusing if you're dealing for the first time with them. In joomla 1.6 they've dropped the whole article, section and category thing to make it easier to build other type of sites with it (at least that's what I've read, but not tested myself yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahsin1982 View Post
Then lets say the service page I want a different layout and I have no idea how to do that. Do I create anohter template with moduele and upload and link it with the service link?
You can load more then one template if you want to have a page that has a different layout or design then your main template, you just crate another template of this just like you've created your main template. Upload all the files to a new directory called 'services' in your template directory and then in the admin go to extensions --> template manager --> click the 'services' template and within the template edit page you see an option called 'menu assignment' where you choose 'select from list'. Select your services menu item --> click on save --> and you're done! Now whenever you click on the front-end on 'services' in your menu. it will load that special designed template for that page.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
tahsin1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleone View Post
Yes, I agree with you. Jooma is originally a blog/news CMS and that's why they came up with a structure like this this and it can be quite confusing if you're dealing for the first time with them. In joomla 1.6 they've dropped the whole article, section and category thing to make it easier to build other type of sites with it (at least that's what I've read, but not tested myself yet).

You can load more then one template if you want to have a page that has a different layout or design then your main template, you just crate another template of this just like you've created your main template. Upload all the files to a new directory called 'services' in your template directory and then in the admin go to extensions --> template manager --> click the 'services' template and within the template edit page you see an option called 'menu assignment' where you choose 'select from list'. Select your services menu item --> click on save --> and you're done! Now whenever you click on the front-end on 'services' in your menu. it will load that special designed template for that page.
Thanks man! Thats the problem I had with joomla and got frustrated with when I did not understand why i cant create different layout with the backend. Ill post my results here ]

Cheers
Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 AM   #8
tahsin1982

ok not much I have changed yet but I realised my css is like not working with the Joomla built in forms. Only if I create just article from the article manager then its fine but if I add other elements the css is like not at all working for example

http://tahsinwonders.net/joomla/inde...id=1&Itemid=10

Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
gentleone

I don't see any CSS rules in default.css refering to that contact form, so I'm not sure what you mean.
If you want for example another font then the default Times New Roman, then you should style the label tag in your CSS.

Code:
.contact_email label {
    font: 14px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    color: #333;
}
Old 05-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
tahsin1982

Interesting cause as usual I keep comparing this to Dreamweaver like I already declared the <p> and in the article it automatically shows up but the contact it didnt and I had to view the source code and to notice id and default classes.

I think I better download the fire fox web devoloper plug in . Got a long way to go still

Thanks