logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Community Talk > Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
belteck

Default new guy from CT long post

Sup guys and gals, Ive been inspired recently by a friend. Ive played around with site design in the past for a few friends and their small businesses. Ive used either Iweb or the domain's site builder . I have successfully uploaded my Iweb websites before so I do know how to FTP and whatnot. Ive experimented with Dreamweaver however never published anything. I feel like I can eventually get good at it.Im not the most artistic guy in the world but am very computer proficient. I see a good demand recently for people I know either needing websites made from scratch or perhaps ones that need a revamp. My buddy who has been a graphic designer for over 20 years. He started the old school way and converted to using a computer when it became practical so he made the switch. He just got into freelance and is making a killing. He is always willing to help me out with photoshop or corel.
Now what does this have to do with Dreamweaver? Every job ive ever seen relating to website design always require's you to know how to use Photoshop in addition to Dreamweaver. Im waiting on a replacement fan for a used mac-book I just bought and once I get it up and running ill be getting Dreamweaver. Anyways once it gets to the point where I can make and publish a site using dreamweaver for someone. Now do freelancers make it so the customer can change and update their site?? Or say if you want they want a picture changed does the freelancer fire up D.M. and charge the customer appropriately?? Anyways see everyone on the boards.
belteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Corrosive

Welcome to the forum. We tend to find customers nowadays almost expect to be able to update their own websites. Very occasionally we still get 'static' jobs but I'd say 95% are CMS based. Bear in mind we are from the UK
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
belteck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
Welcome to the forum. We tend to find customers nowadays almost expect to be able to update their own websites. Very occasionally we still get 'static' jobs but I'd say 95% are CMS based. Bear in mind we are from the UK
So whats more practical to master for a future career dreamweaver or the many different CMS's out there?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by belteck View Post
So whats more practical to master for a future career dreamweaver or the many different CMS's out there?
Neither. In all honesty you should start with learning the basics of HTML and CSS and, of course, good semantic markup. Then you can use DW or a CMS as a tool to deliver quality websites. Think of it like any other trade. Take carpentry for instance, you need to know how a chair or table should go together and then identify the correct tools to make your work more efficient and workflow productive.

This is a good place to start with getting the theory down; http://www.w3schools.com/
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
belteck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
Neither. In all honesty you should start with learning the basics of HTML and CSS and, of course, good semantic markup. Then you can use DW or a CMS as a tool to deliver quality websites. Think of it like any other trade. Take carpentry for instance, you need to know how a chair or table should go together and then identify the correct tools to make your work more efficient and workflow productive.

This is a good place to start with getting the theory down; http://www.w3schools.com/
Appreciate it ill check it out. I know what html is in a nutshell however the term CSS in laymen terms is??
Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Corrosive

Try this; http://www.corrosiveonline.co.uk/tut..._explained.php
Old 04-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
domedia
Administrator

There's no substitute to 'CSS'. Even our clients are using the term.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
edbr

cascading style sheet. But i think 'collected styles, sheet' might be more apt a description

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
sbglobal
Banned

nice to see at this forum.
sbglobal is offline   Reply With Quote