logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Web Hosting and FTP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
patodjs

Default Anybody familiar with hostgator?

hi

Ok here;s my question. I do have an account with hostgator and I have my site running and everything is good. so Im creating a new site and I wanted to register the domain for the new site but I have been searching and I notice that you can create new domain name right on the cpanel clicking the adon domain option.

but Im not sure If this is the best option for me because Im planing to create a forum and the website will be totally different from my main site and in order to create a forum a need a database entry and I dont know if hostgator will allow me to do that, and i dont know If is creating a SUBDOMAIN?? Or a DOMAIN? Because I want to create my new website at mydomain2.com and thats the address I want, not mydomain2.mydomain1.com

is a little but confusing

Thanks

Old 11-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
blake

Addon domain means you already have a different domain name, other than the one you have with Hostgator, and want to add that second domain name to your same hosting account with Hostgator.
An addon domain is separate from your original domain and is another complete web site and will not be a subdomain. Be aware that your addon domain and it's site will still be using the same resources as your original domain on Hostgator servers.
I have one hosting package with a hosting company(not unlimited)..300 gigs of disk space and 3000 gigs of monthly data transfer. I have three business web sites each with it's own domain hosted on this package. One domain is my main domain and the other are my addon domains and I have subdomains within each of the domains. This averages to several 1000 hits day without any problems spread across all three web sites. All three domains and web sites use the same 300 gigs of disk space.
I would also purchase any domain names from a domain registrar other than the company you host your sites with.
Forums can generally use a lot of resources and being on a shared server, if that's what you have with Hostgator, you may want to contact Hostgator and discuss your plans for a forum with them.

Last edited by blake; 11-23-2010 at 11:11 PM..
Old 11-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
patodjs

Thanks a lot man got a better idea !! So my question is there's any admin from this forum that could tell me the hosting plan or a good hosting plan for a forum ?? Cause I don't want to spend extra money if I don't have to...

Thanks

Old 11-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
blake

I would suggest you go here http://www.webhostingtalk.com
Read the reviews and ask questions.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
DWcourse

I'd think an addon domain on your existing account would work for starting up a forum. You can always upgrade down the road if necessary. Personally my experience with HostGator has been excellent and when I've needed support they have been helpful and prompt. I'd definitely recommend them.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
patodjs

good to know thanks a lot for the feedback now im using the Hatchling Package, im good for now.

Next question LOL

How do you know when you have to upgrade your plan does the server gives you errors? The connection is slow? considering having good traffic and over 2000 members ????
Old 11-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Corrosive

A good host will contact you if you are close to capacity to suggest upgrading your package.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
patodjs

Great guys ok so I have my new domain and I created even the wordpress extension and I test the server with dreamwaver and im uploading files no problems so far with that but when I'm trying to view the website from a browser or Internet every browser gives me te error that it can't find the server !! I don't know what's wrong cause dreamwaver is interacting and uploading files to the server I can't even log in into my wordpress account !!

Is there anything that I can do !!!

Cause I think if I'm doing something wrong it would let me sign in into my wordpress account that hostgator create for me :
Or I would be able to see it...
Www.sitename.com/blog/

Thank you
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
patodjs

It's all good guys the problem was that the domain purchase didn't went trough.

Problem fixed

Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #10
amk2010

There are many hosting companies providing good services e.g StartLogic, Dreamhost, Laughing Squid, IX Web Hosting, AN Hosting, HostICan, Bluehost and many others. So i think you should read reviews about selected host and if possible, go for a trial for couple of selected hosts and analyse the results as per your requirements.
Closed Thread