logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Web Hosting and FTP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
KlingonOffTheStarboardBow

Default TESTING SERVER on Dreamweaver 4 MX

Hi - I have installed EASY php5.3.3. It seems to work, though how to tell if Apache is running isn't clear. Hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL seems to show it is ...

I am working from Robin Nixon's book "PHY, MYSQL & JAVASCRIPT".

Having loaded one of his examples into c:\web, Dreamweaver asks me to define a testing server to preview it. I have found several examples explainingg how to do this but none of them are clear ..... (or I am stupid ...).

I have defined my site named "development" and its root folder as c`\web. Is that right or should it be somewhere else?

Is the URL for the testing server supposed to be the SAME as for the site files (c:\web?) how does Apache know where to find the files I want to preview?

At teh moment, the local root folder is testing server folder is designated as C:\web\development\ and the URL as http://localhost (which is c:\web. Does that look right? In any case, Firefox can't see the php file.

Until I fix this I can't really get any further ....!!! References to "testing server" in Dreamweaver doc are not clear - to me at least. Unfortunately, assumptions are made about what people (should) know, which in my case is very little except how to programme static sites in Dreamweaver.
KlingonOffTheStarboardBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
edbr

you can tell if the server ids running by opening a browser and going to http://localhost if online you will see a page, I only looked at easy php once and hated it so i forget what its opening page is.
\as for setting up your site i use a folder on my d drive to be my local site and then define both my testing and remote folders to the folder on my testing server , this could be called www. or public_html on the server.
i work this way because i only upload work to the web when im ready to using a ftp program, and i keep my sites on a separate drive in case of os failiure .

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #3

Default Testing Server

Thanks for taking the trouble to help me. I'll work on it!!

The funny thing is that in NONE of the docs I've assembled about this does it say you have to have:

A) a local folder

B) a "remote" folder (presumably on the same computer while development is taking place)

AND

C) a "testing server"

So if I understand correctly, you have to in Dreamweaver define THREE places where files reside or are tested. Do I understand that the "remote" and "testing servier" folder can be the SAME?

Last edited by KlingonOffTheStarboardBow; 10-21-2010 at 06:59 AM..
Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
edbr

its how i work , remote could also be your live site I just prefer not to use dw for FTP

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #5

I found the answer. In fact, the "testing server" on my machine is "in" c:\program files/EASYPHP3.3.3/www.

Setting "testing server" in DW to this folder allows me to preview PHP files ..... Why this was quite so cunningly configured to confuse me I am not sure .... but I seem to have advanced ... thankyou.