logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Web Hosting and FTP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
AnrBjötk

Default An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. The remote host cannot be found

Hi

Im a little desperate here:

I have a work-related web site I need to update, but, 1: I cannot SEE my website in the browsers on my machine and Dreamweaver cannot connect to the FTP server.
Something is blocking FTP here. I can see my page using free proxy servers so ...
AnrBjötk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Corrosive

Speak to your hosts. You may be blocked by IP and they can remove that. Don't think it is a Dreamweaver problem.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
AnrBjötk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
Speak to your hosts. You may be blocked by IP and they can remove that. Don't think it is a Dreamweaver problem.
Talked to my host, they said it was MY problem, they said there were no problems with the FTP. As mentioned, I cannot see the site on MY computer, but CAN see it on another one, or on free proxy servers...
Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnrBjötk View Post
As mentioned, I cannot see the site on MY computer, but CAN see it on another one, or on free proxy servers...
Whenever this happens to me it is a problem with my IP. I call my hosts and they have to unblock me. Can't think of any other reason why the site not working is localised to your machine.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
DWcourse

If you can't see the site in a browser, then ftp isn't your issue.

1. Is it only one computer? Can other computers using the same connection see the website?

2. Is it a new site and/or has the DNS information changed recently.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
AnrBjötk

Okey, I fixed the DNS, so now I can SEE my own website, which is nice! BUT now the new problem is that I cant edit my page cause DW claims my login info is incorrect!!! WHAT is going on?
Old 07-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #7
DWcourse

OK, you're a bit confused. Dreamweaver only edits files locally on your computer. It doesn't even need an Internet connection to edit files.

That said, if you are trying to connect to your website with Dreamweaver and you get an error that says your login info is incorrect then the odds are overwhelming that YOUR LOGIN INFO IS INCORRECT.

So make absolutely sure you set up the connection to your remote site correctly and, if things still don't work, try checking the passive ftp.

If you continue to have problems, try another ftp program and see if that works. If it doesn't then the problem isn't Dreamweaver.

If another ftp program works but DW doesn't, post the exact error message here and we'll see what suggestions we can offer.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
AnrBjötk

I've tried three different FTP-programs. They all fail to login. Both fetch and DW claims wrong password. Which simply isnt true. I've checked it, and confirmed it with my host.

I know how DW works
Old 07-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
DWcourse

If you have multiple programs claiming you have the wrong password, that's probably it. Make sure you have upper and lowercase correct. Also, sometimes you are required to include @domaindname.com (just as if it was an email address) for the user name. You could also request a new password from the hosting company.

If your hosting company can't talk you through the set up, then I'd say you need a new hosting company.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
AnrBjötk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWcourse View Post
If you have multiple programs claiming you have the wrong password, that's probably it. Make sure you have upper and lowercase correct. Also, sometimes you are required to include @domaindname.com (just as if it was an email address) for the user name. You could also request a new password from the hosting company.

If your hosting company can't talk you through the set up, then I'd say you need a new hosting company.
I've confirmed and changed my password with my host. But you see, ALL this info was stored in DW, so it CAN'T be wrong. I never changed it.