logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Web Hosting and FTP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
the137

Default Couple of basic hosting questions

First off, I'm looking for a recommendation on a hosting company. I registered with godaddy.com, but since then I've heard a lot of negative things and I'd like to move away from them. I'd like a US based company that I can upload to directly from Dreamweaver's built in utility. (I run CS4) I'm planning on going with a reasonably priced unlimited or higher end bandwidth plan. I won't be running videos, but I expect a lot of traffic.

My other question is how complicated is it to move the registration. Right now that page is "parked" on their servers, and I'm hoping for a relatively painless transition. Will I have to pay godaddy to take it off? I'm not under a contract or anything.

Thanks to all who respond.
the137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
gentleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by the137 View Post
First off, I'm looking for a recommendation on a hosting company. I registered with godaddy.com, but since then I've heard a lot of negative things and I'd like to move away from them. I'd like a US based company that I can upload to directly from Dreamweaver's built in utility. (I run CS4) I'm planning on going with a reasonably priced unlimited or higher end bandwidth plan. I won't be running videos, but I expect a lot of traffic.

My other question is how complicated is it to move the registration. Right now that page is "parked" on their servers, and I'm hoping for a relatively painless transition. Will I have to pay godaddy to take it off? I'm not under a contract or anything.

Thanks to all who respond.
What I know off GoDaddy is that they don't response to your emails. I tried one time to move a client's domain-name from GoDaddy to the hosting... never got a response! Another time a friend of mine tried to call them to cancel a domain registration... he never got through! He's still paying for his domain. Bottom line... godaddy sucks big time!!!

I would suggest that you just look for a web hosting in your neighborhood/hometown... of course they will differ in prices/speed/service/etc., but just keep it close to your home.

I pay for every web hosting of mine 150 euro p/y. It's including PHP, MySQL, Awstats, 1000 Mb web-space, 100 Gb traffic p/y, 10 mailboxes, a kick ass service and my sites are always online.
gentleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
the137

Thanks for the idea of keeping it local, with the internet being such a global entity, the idea of finding a local company slipped through the cracks. I've been endlessly combing through google results.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
the137

Is there an edit option on this forum?

Just finished emailing a couple local companies, but their price models don't seem to be competitive.

Can anyone recommend a national company that I can look into?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
domedia
Administrator

site5.com
hostgator.com
insiderhosting.com

Your new hosting company will send you information on which name servers you need to associate with your domain.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
the137

Thanks Domedia, I'll start checking into it.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
edbr

i was just looking at a comparison list in phpclasses and saw this , i have never used them so im not recommending them but they have quite reasonable pricing http://www.justhost.com

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
gentleone

I don't believe it when they say 'unlimited bandwidth' this and 'unlimited space' that. If they there self exceed there bandwidth or space by their server companies then they have to pay for it, so I can't believe that they won't ask you as client in some kind of way money for that. Always read the Terms and Conditions from companies like that really, really, really good.
gentleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
edbr

i suspect you are right they were suggesting a few more too. i use several hosters but i normally pay around 45$ for
Space 25 GB
Monthly Data Transfer 250 GB
Unlimited Multiple Websites
Unlimited Database MySQL
Unlimited Email Accounts
Unlimited Parked Domains

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
the137

Thanks for the options guys, great help.

One of the local companies I looked into kinda got under my skin, I'll repost it here because its kind of humorous.

Quote:
Steve,

I'm still working on it, my goal is to launch on April 1st.

Can you direct me to a price model for comparison?

I'm specifically looking for a mid-range plan with 200-300 GB monthly transfer, on a linux server, that I can upload directly to using the built in utility in Dreamweaver CS4.
Quote:
Eric,

If you are looking for that kind of capacity, we probably aren't your answer. We manage all the sites we build, and even the largest sites use only 1GB of bandwidth because they are built properly.
Needless to say, I won't be calling them for anything.