logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Web Design
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
the137

Default Whats on the cutting edge of web design right now?

Being new to all of this, I'd like to hear about some of the more popular \ innovative ideas that are being implemented by designers. I've seen horizonal scrolling pages, but that's a bit too far outside the box for my taste. How are you guys pushing the limits these days?
the137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
gentleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by the137 View Post
Being new to all of this, I'd like to hear about some of the more popular \ innovative ideas that are being implemented by designers. I've seen horizonal scrolling pages, but that's a bit too far outside the box for my taste. How are you guys pushing the limits these days?
You can indeed pushing things to the limits these days, but you'll have to keep one important thing in mind... USABILITY!!!

I hate these portfolio sites with horizontal scrollbars that goes almost to Crete.
gentleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
the137

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleone View Post
I hate these portfolio sites with horizontal scrollbars that goes almost to Crete.
+1 then +1 again
Old 02-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Corrosive

CSS3 and HTML5.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Rob_Che

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
CSS3 and HTML5.
Steady!

The web has gone full circle in recent years. Started as text only > went to heavy design as anything was possible with divs > back to text only (almost).

Usability is king as gentleone says, what do users wnat to do and what do they want to do most.

Think of all that valuable 'real estate' on Google.com - they don't touch it. That page has one function. You turn up and type what you want. End of, brilliance.
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
edbr

i agree there is a great trend to follow every thing new then hate it a couple of months later. some times seems a bit sheep like to me. i thing its a balance in the end of content , design, seo weight and as stated usability. one of my pet peeves at the moment is those slow 'roll in' boxes. its like watching an out of control zimmer frame

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
the137

Thanks for the replies everyone
Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbr View Post
i agree there is a great trend to follow every thing new then hate it a couple of months later. some times seems a bit sheep like to me. i thing its a balance in the end of content , design, seo weight and as stated usability. one of my pet peeves at the moment is those slow 'roll in' boxes. its like watching an out of control zimmer frame
I don't think you could call CSS3 or HTML5 a 'trend'. HTML5 is about enhancing SEO and how a Search Engine reads a page. Tell me;

Code:
<article></article>
Doesn't make more sense than;

Code:
<div id="article"></div>
Also CSS3 properties such as gradients, drop shadows or rounded corners will reduce code weight substantially. No more nasty javascript rounded corners fixes!

I think they will get over-used at first and then it should settle down in the hands of those who know what they are doing.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
domedia
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the137 View Post
I've seen horizonal scrolling pages, but that's a bit too far outside the box for my taste. How are you guys pushing the limits these days?
I've found that smashingmagazine.com seems to be in touch with the trends, both code and designwise..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
I don't think you could call CSS3 or HTML5 a 'trend'. HTML5 is about enhancing SEO and how a Search Engine reads a page.
While this might be a consequence of HTML5 (semantic pages makes it easier for search engines to understand them), it's has never been the reason why the W3C is creating it. Actually, I don't think they could care less about 'SEO' .

HTML5 will replace HTML4 as the HTML protocol with some huge semantic advancements (that you explained quite perfectly). Whenever I go to youTube, the player has already been replaced by HTML5.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
edbr

Quote:
I think they will get over-used at first and then it should settle down in the hands of those who know what they are doing.
im sure it will which is what i said

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote