logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Community Talk > Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Designer

Default Building my first website

Hi, I am Ralph, a designer from London. I have a lot of experience as a designer for print and recently I have designed a few websites that were built by other people. I have decided to bite the bullet and learn to build the sites myself. I am using CS3 on a Mac and have nearly finished my first site which is a real job for one of my clients. However, the most complicated page (meet the team) is looking great in all non IE browsers but has one specific problem in IE.
The name and job title sits about 40 px to the right of where they should be. I have put all relevant padding and margins to zero and can't think what else to try. I am drawing a blank with my techy friends so I was hoping someone from this forum might be able to cast their over it - any suggestions will be gratefully received.
http://www.ralphbeckforddesign.co.uk...team_test.html
Anyone looking at this will see that the code is a mess but it does work apart from the above problem
Someone please help this poor old designer
Regards
Ralph
Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Corrosive

I can't, for the life of me, see what is causing that.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Designer

Default building my first website

Hi Corrosive

Thanks for prompt reply, could you see if any of your esteemed colleagues have any clues?

Regards

Designer
Old 11-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
gentleone

It is always good to use a reset.css stylesheet and link this one at first in the <HEAD>

Just try it, because I know that IE is bad with refreshing a page and there might be still a cached padding or margin from another website.

Here is a link to a reset.css file which will reset everything. Just let us know if this helped you out or not and the we can investigate further.

http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/
gentleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
DWcourse

I can't see why either but that table is very complex and I'd be for some reason one or more cells is being stretched in IE. I can only say from experience that you'll probably go through hell trying to find exactly what's causing it.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Designer

thanks Guys - Gentleone, pardon my ignorance but where should I paste that reset code? Designer
Old 11-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Corrosive

Put it at the start of your stylesheet.

If you'd like a suggestion of a different approach then I reckon you should look at 3 div tags floated left so they line up next to each other. An ID for each that tells it to display the individual photos as a background. Then a class for each that states the overall width of the div and uses padding left and top to place the text exactly where you want it. One div and some styles sure beats the hell out of a load of unpredictable tables
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Designer

Hi Guys

I tried the reset code but no cigar - thinking about rebuilding it with divs as suggested by Corrosive - back to the drawing board...Arhhh!
thanks very much for your efforts, if you have any more ideas, please put them down the line as it will take me a long time to remake the page - I've only been doing this for a month or so
Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
gentleone

Here is a good and well explained tutorial about the very basics of CSS.

Mastering CSS
gentleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
Designer

thanks for above tutorial, Just rebuilt page with divs all seems fine but for some reason my wrapper does not wrap around my content and unless I give it a specified hight all the content spills out the bottom of the page - I know this must be very basic stuff for you guys but could someone tell me where I went wrong?
http://www.ralphbeckforddesign.co.uk..._team_div.html