logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Web Hosting and FTP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Echo

Default Certain things won't update?

Hello all, I have a question. Recently my clan leader gave me access to the website over FTP to update the news, roster, etc.. This is where it gets weird. I'm using Dreamweaver CS4, and I'm not going to lie, I'm quite new to this whole ordeal. Including the whole FTP we have set up through FileZilla. When I'm updating the site I 'connect to a remote host' to get the files. So. I can update the roster, like simple sentence changes to paragraphs etc., but I tried adding a new link with new pages to the website; but it isn't updating? Like, it won't show up. Does it have something to do with the FTP files that I should copy over? I thought it was that but I'm editing directly from the remote server... Maybe I'm just not doing it right? xD. I mean I am new at this but in the 'Design' window it shows the link there but it never shows up when I use Site -> Put to update the website. (But the little changes do, like adding another sentence to a paragraph.) Any help? D:
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
DWcourse

Dreamweaver has a built-in ftp program. When you connect to the server and select a file to edit it actually downloads the file before opening. When you make a change to the file you need to upload it back to the server (which you can do by "putting" the file in Dreamweaver. You don't need another program (although you can use one).
Old 08-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
edbr

there has been a lot of problems posted using dw to ftp 'live' , i think there are more advantages to using a 3rd party like filezilla. setting up notepad++as your file editor in it makes simple text changes easy enough

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
DWcourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbr View Post
there has been a lot of problems posted using dw to ftp 'live' , i think there are more advantages to using a 3rd party like filezilla. setting up notepad++as your file editor in it makes simple text changes easy enough
I'm not one of the folks who has had trouble with Dreamweaver's ftp (and I use it a lot) but I've seen a lot of folks complain about it.

I agree a 3rd party ftp program configured with a text editor is certainly handy for simple edits (and more).

Edit: BTW, on the Mac side CAptain FTP and BBedit are a nice combo.