logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Web Design
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
MarvelMarcus

Thumbs up Where to start on coming soon and web site design

ok i want to design a website but i wanna get a coming soon page designed while i am worknig on my products for my site.

what is the best way to do this ?

where do i begin?

how can i get the surfers email address to let them know that the site is up and running?

and last but not least a kool hit counter (maybe even a personalized 1 if poss)

give me ideas guys

Thanks

MM

Last edited by MarvelMarcus; 07-20-2009 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: i messed the title up sorry guys i am at work trying to post under the radar lol
MarvelMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelMarcus View Post
ok i want to design a website but i wanna get a coming soon page designed while i am worknig on my products for my site.

what is the best way to do this ?

where do i begin?
I'd just set up a splash page, a little bit about what is 'coming soon' in HTML text. Just to wet the appetite of whoever comes to your site.

Quote:
how can i get the surfers email address to let them know that the site is up and running?
Try inserting a mailchimp.com sign up form. They are easy to create once you have an account and it will be the start of your mailing list for when your site is up and running.

Quote:
and last but not least a kool hit counter (maybe even a personalized 1 if poss)
No such thing, hit counters are very 1999 IMO. If you want web stats then your host should provide these. Otherwise, for who's benefit is the counter??
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
MarvelMarcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
I'd just set up a splash page, a little bit about what is 'coming soon' in HTML text. Just to wet the appetite of whoever comes to your site.

Try inserting a mailchimp.com sign up form. They are easy to create once you have an account and it will be the start of your mailing list for when your site is up and running.

No such thing, hit counters are very 1999 IMO. If you want web stats then your host should provide these. Otherwise, for who's benefit is the counter??
thanks bro that was quick well thanks for all that info i am gonna make a diary wen i start creating it on here to, but the hit counter was for me and for other people to see how many people has blessed the site with thier presents lol

do u mind if i ask u questions thru your mail box if it gets to much 2 put on here or shud i just use the forum?

Peace

MM

Thanks Again
Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Corrosive

Hit counter might look good when you have 10,000 visitors. Maybe not so good if you have ten! I'd avoid it if I were you but feel free to ignore me

I'd rather you asked questions in the forum as others may benefit from the answers. I can't do personal consultations I'm afraid.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
MarvelMarcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
Hit counter might look good when you have 10,000 visitors. Maybe not so good if you have ten! I'd avoid it if I were you but feel free to ignore me

I'd rather you asked questions in the forum as others may benefit from the answers. I can't do personal consultations I'm afraid.

bluddy hell mate i dident think of that thanks

i cud just manually enter the hit amount my self i suppose wen it get hi enuff lol

cheers bro.

where the best place to grab the basic's of dream weaver for a shopping site? here else were u tube any directions will be appreciated

Thanks

MM

ps can i add u as a friend? and wat do u do for a living?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Corrosive

Quote:
where the best place to grab the basic's of dream weaver for a shopping site? here else were u tube any directions will be appreciated
I'd look at some of the open source shopping cart solutions out there. Look for hosting with Fantastico and you can 'point and click' install carts like Zencart or OSCommerce. Building a cart from scratch with DW is a very big project!

Quote:
ps can i add u as a friend? and wat do u do for a living?
Of course and errrm...web designer
Old 08-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
MarvelMarcus

Exclamation

This gonna sound really stupid but where do i start?

MM
Old 08-07-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
cocoonfx

Do as corrosive recommends building from scratch will be a steep learning curve. OS Commerce is a good cart you can also amend the layout and install add ons.
cocoonfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
Corrosive

Start with finding a Fantastico host (we us eukhost.com) and then install your chosen shopping cart...As cocconfx says, OS Commerce is a good one. Have you bought any hosting yet?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
MarvelMarcus

no i havent dont bugger all except sketch the site.

MM