logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Community Talk > Dreamweaver Club Cafe
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Rob_Che

Default Port 25 server mail blockage

I received the below email from my server people (mt) - they are blocking outbound mail... what does it mean? i have a PHP newsletter script (simple php only, no java) - will this be blocked?

Servers are really not my strong point . . . (I do have some strong points honest!)

Cheers
Rob

Quote:
| What is changing? |

We will be introducing additional changes that may potentially affect the functionality of scripts used by legitimate, non-abusive customers.

We will start blocking all outgoing mail attempts that establish a direct MX connection over port 25. Initial observations indicate that less than 0.25% of our entire customer base uses this method to send email. While few customers use this method, it accounts for a substantial amount of preventable SPAM.

Blocking this activity will reduce outgoing spam, which will in turn help our reputation with external, third-party RBLs (Real Time Blocklist) and ISPs (Internet Service Providers). Ultimately the best way to not get listed is to prevent spam from leaving our network, so this is the ideal solution.

| Are you blocking access to port 25? |

Yes and no. What we intend to do is block OUTBOUND access to port 25. Establishing an STMP connection through an email application or script is considered an INBOUND connection. Nothing will change in that regard. Customers can continue using email just as they have been. This change only affects outbound SMTP connection attempts over this specific port.
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
edbr

it reads to me that mailing scripts that are web based ie mailchimp Pommo will be blocked however idf you use a mailing program like mail list king faet mailer etc from your desktop it will not be blocked .
I think anyway my server has done this to me recently but they clainm no knowledge of it.

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
davidj

i think that the script that access the mail() function is using INBOUND

i think its in connection with email clients or remote scripts which tap in using the SMTP port 25. These are to be blocked.

i would contact them to clarify
Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
davidj

whoa

ed beat me by 1 second!
Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
whoa

ed beat me by 1 second!
He is the Usain Bolt of post answerers.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Rob_Che

*scuttles off... google: Usain Bolt..."

Oh right, you mean, Usain Bolt the Jamaican sprinter. I hear he holds the Olympic and world records for the 100 metres at 9.69 seconds, the 200 metres at 19.30 seconds and, along with his teammates, the 4x100 metres relay at 37.10 seconds, all set at the 2008 Summer Olympics. Did you know that Bolt became the first man to win all three events at a single Olympics since Carl Lewis in 1984, and the first man in history to set world records in all three at a single Olympics. His name and achievements in sprinting have earned him the media nickname "'Lightning' Bolt".}

I see the connection now...
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote