logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Community Talk > Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
dwaddict321

Default Hi

Hi, all.

Though my handle states "addict" I am completely new to Dreamweaver and using the latest free trial demo from Adobe for now.

Trying to create a dynamic web site. I know everything that I want to do and how it's going to look, but I have to say finding how to do even the simplest things is taking me hours and hours.

I looked through a whole bunch of tutorials here and on Adobe site and elsewhere, but they are so specific and do not seem to cover what I need.

Since I'm going to be doing a dynamic web site with vBulletin forums, I assume I have to start with a PHP document in Dreamweaver.

1) First, trying to set the overall size of my welcome page. I want the absolute size to be 1000 x 1700 pixels for the content at least. The background picture I want to use is way larger. I need the main page to display correctly at different resolutions (full pic say at 1600 x 1200) and a very specific position for the content on say 1024 x 768 resolution (about 7% in for the right margin). Haven't worked out the left yet, but I can do it quickly.

From reading the "centering tutorial" I tried some of the code, but it says /div tag at the end of the wrapper is undefined code. Stumbling block 1.

2) Basically, I want to define the overall size for all the content first. I need a header, footer and 3 columns, but each column will be divided into many little blocks.

3) Also need some accent images overlaid over the main background image for accents.

4) I will get to the PHP/forums setup later and I have the tutorias for that. It's the actual design I'm having a problem with.

5) I'm pretty good with basic HTML having built one site in it already. Can I import an HTML version of this into PHP and start from there? Not sure it would be very clean. DW creates so many extra tags/coding when it gets its data from Microsoft Word.html.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the noob questions. This was supposed to be fun as I'm doing a fan fiction web site.
dwaddict321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
edbr

Hi
dont use word for anything if you want to iopy pate your text use notepad
Quote:
From reading the "centering tutorial" I tried some of the code, but it says /div tag at the end of the wrapper is undefined code. Stumbling block 1.
maybe a typo or something omitted

welcome to the forum

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Corrosive

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got yourself a nice big project to get your teeth into. You'll enjoy that.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
dwaddict321

Thank you.

And I apologize for all the noobie questions.

I started reading the resources section posted in the FAQ here and learned a lot. Going to try to make my own container from scratch today or maybe re-use some of the code from the DW PHP 3 column templates.

This is very exciting. I'm beginning to see the power of DW now. Everything takes longer, but that's because you have so much control over everything.

On another note, can anybody point me to a tutorial/write-up on the following.... Some more noobie questions.

1) I want some graphics to change when I mouse over them, I believe this is Java script territory?

2) Also, I'd like a graphic to blink twice after a mouse cursor is held over it for 2 seconds and then no blinking for 2 seconds and repeat cycle if cursor still held over it.

I'll try to hunt for it.

Thanks for any help if you can give.

P.S. I take it when starting with a PHP template from DW, you can still use HTML code in it? That's what seems to be in the templates. I just wanted to make sure. Initially, I thought everything had to be in PHP.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
davidj

There are loads of services out there to help you with your PHP skills

just look around!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
domedia
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaddict321 View Post
1) I want some graphics to change when I mouse over them, I believe this is Java script territory?
Yes, Look in the behaviors panel in DW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaddict321 View Post
2) Also, I'd like a graphic to blink twice after a mouse cursor is held over it for 2 seconds and then no blinking for 2 seconds and repeat cycle if cursor still held over it.
You need a custom built JavaScript for this.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
domedia
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
There are loads of services out there to help you with your PHP skills
What DJ means is that we have a full PHP tutorials section.
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/tutorials.php
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
dwaddict321

WoW, thanks all for so many responses.

Yeah, I've been Googling a lot of stuff.

I learned how easy it's do a simple mouseover graphic change with rollover images. Fantastic.

As far as the custom built Java script for the blinking, can anybody help with this? Can this be done with Flash? It's just a simple square graphic I need to blink when I mouse over it and/or associated text to the right.

Also, learned you can do a mockup in Fireworks and then Flash and then DW which saves a ton of time. Going to try that.

Thanks for the tutorial link. Will definitely read.

Cheers guys.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
davidj

why not just swap the image with an animated gif
Old 04-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #10
dwaddict321

You know I was just thinking of that.

So if I use an animated GIF for the rollover image that should do it, no?