logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Photoshop
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Interstellar Icon

Question Logo review request

Hi All,

This is really an Illustrator question, but since there isn't a dedicated Illustrator forum, I'm posting it here. If it needs to be moved or is too off-topic, please advise.

I'm working on some ideas for my company logo, and I'd be interested in your feedback and suggestions. Here are the proofs:

Please let me know your thoughts - which version(s) you like, or which have the most potential, and suggestions for improvement, etc. The symbols are pretty rough right now, because I'm semi-retarded with respect to Illustrator, and I thought I'd invest time in perfecting the design once I've settled on a final concept.

Thanks in advance,
Sam
Interstellar Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Rob_Che

Hey Sam - your post is fine in here.

There's nothing wrong with any of them - however you seem to have narrowed your options very quickly. Do you have to use that font? When I'm designing a logo I tend to get the pen and paper out first then go looking for fonts to suit. If I was drafting straight into AI I would be looking at 10-20 different design, each with a different font.

I'd like to see some more designs. I wouldn't know what the company was from those logos. I think you're jumping the gun a little.

Look at:
What do the company do?
Who is their target audience?
Will the logo age?

I don't dislike what you've done but I think once you ask yourself those questions you'll come away with a better design.

Rob - I'm more than happy to help you brainstorm some ideas

Googling 'Sphere logo' wouldn't hurt either
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Interstellar Icon

Thumbs up

Good stuff Rob, as per usual. I'm happy to play around with some more ideas, and I'm open to any suggestions you have. In other words, I'd like to take you up on your offer.

I Googled 'sphere logo', and there are a lot of good examples there. One idea that came to mind immediately had it's origin with this example:

http://www.eyeonsphere.com/Services/hosting.htm

I thought I could do something similar, but replace the orbiting line with a "9". Please let me know your thoughts.

I'm happy to play around with other fonts, as well, but I'm not really sure where to start. I haven't used pencil and paper to illustrate since I was a kid, and I wouldn't know how to find a matching font, either. Any ideas on how I can get started in the right direction?

I'll put some thought into the questions you suggested, and post again once I have my answers fleshed out...

Thanks,
Sam
Old 04-01-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
domedia
Administrator

It should be part of your branding. What do you want the company to reflect through the logo etc.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Rob_Che

I agree Ove (that was my 'what do the company do? question) - think carefully about the colors. It sounds obvious but a gardening logo might be green where a signage company may be red.

For mocking up - Use whatever programme you are most familiar with - it's about speed. You need to throw some ideas together and be able to work quick enough not to get bogged down with one idea or get bored of it. Don't stress over them being perfect - that will come later.

Take a look at some of the best logos too:
Recognisable - Striking / related to product
Scaleable - Not too complicated / vector only?
Works without color - Against light and dark backgrounds

Last edited by Rob_Che; 04-01-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
domedia
Administrator

Yeah I think you were spot on in the first post.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
Interstellar Icon

Hey All,

Thanks very much for your input. I think what I'd like to do is come up with a "working logo" for now, something I can use in advertising, etc., and work long-term on the final version of the logo. I realize this isn't ideal from a branding perspective, but I need to make some things happen quickly with my business, and I think I'm better off having some kind image to present than nothing at all.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I got an idea from one of the sphere logos I saw online, and here's what I've come up with:

I like the concept, but I'd like to make a couple of (hopefully quick) changes. First, I'm pretty sure I need to change the font, as the feedback I've received across the board is that the one I'm using isn't cutting it. I'd also like to make the symbol a bit less "cartoonish", for lack of a better term.

Any thoughts? Please let me know, and thanks again for all of your input.

Sam
Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
domedia
Administrator

Hi Sam,
I would just emphasize again on what is said above about loog development. It's not an issue of it 'looking good'
Old 04-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
Blue_Vision

Definatly don't have the media word in an outlined white.

Font is ok (meaning on the fence but its not the greatest or bad).

Business name and Logo tells me nothing of what you do. For major companies like Apple or something there is no need but for startup businesses its really important typically to put a slogan or something into your logo that will give people a STRONG sense of what you do.

The sphere in this last post is way too big!

I wouldn't do a 3D sphere. I'm not keen on any of the above spheres but I think if maybe you did something with this last mockup... smaller and not 3d looking then you might be on to something.

In all honesty I wouldn't call any of them "bad"... One of my jobs is working for a sign company so I can't ever keep my mouth shut on this stuff.

Keep up the good work : )
Blue_Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
Interstellar Icon

Thanks BV! I've made some changes to the logo, both before your post and as a result of your post. Here's the previous proof, followed by updated proofs - I'll detail the changes below:

1. New font with adjusted kerning, sphere changed to circle and reduced in size, stroke added to circle, stroke and width of "9" reduced

2. Width of "9" further reduced

3. Size of symbol further reduced, stroke added to "nine"

4. Width of "9" further reduced

Please let me know your thoughts - what works, and what doesn't. For right now, I'm planning to use the logo below a description of my services in advertising, but once I'm using it as a "standalone" image, I'll add a description of my services or slogan below the logo.

Ove and Rob - I'm not ignoring your input, and I'll post here with what I've come up with sometime in the near future.

Sam