logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Community Talk > Dreamweaver Club Cafe
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
silverglade

Default trouble getting people to buy my websites on craigslist

hi, i found a sample contract and was wondering if the client is supposed to sign it and mail it to me via snail mail? does anyone know where i can find a sample "change order" form? also, based on my portfolio at http://derekvanderven.com/websites.html how much do you think i should charge for a 5 page website or a 10 page website? (my websites are only text and images with no php except for a contact form, and it has a little flash animation in some parts- they are only informational sites) , also, should i take out the word "mockups" above my sites or leave them, because after all they are just mockups. any more help greatly appreciated. thanks for those other posts, i will try to make my site a little more professional and update the header banner, as well as separate the "art" content from the "web design " content, so that my web design page looks more like a design firms. derek

Last edited by silverglade; 03-25-2009 at 06:31 PM..
silverglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
domedia
Administrator

If you're doing this full time you might want to make a trade with lawyer for all the paperwork.

How much you make on your work should be set by you. Figure out how much you want to make on a project and quote accordingly.

Not knowing your clients, what market you operate in or your expenses, the prices you have now looks fine to me. But please don't ask for others to evaluate what your perceived value towards your clients are.

Remember that a web design business is first and foremost a business, so business skills are as, or more important than your web design skills.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
silverglade

ok thanks i will keep my prices then since im a beginner. and i have a sample web designers contract. do you fax it to them? or how do they get it? i updated my site to look more like a web design front page.also, do you think the navigation buttons are too big? derek

http://derekvanderven.com
Old 03-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
domedia
Administrator

I always meet my clients face to face.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Rob_Che

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverglade View Post
i updated my site to look more like a web design front page.also, do you think the navigation buttons are too big? derek
Yes. but the main problem from a layout point of view is that buttons, or certainly the text on the buttons, is not level. It's throwing everything out.

Something I sometimes do when designing a new site is: take a screen grab of a site you like the proportions of and overlay your design and try and emulate the scale of the things you are seeing.

Also: I don't think having a Paypal 'Donate' button is very professional on a business site

Art looks good thouigh

RC
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by domedia View Post
I always meet my clients face to face.
Excellent advice. Work locally and have regular meetings with clients. Saves an entire re-work of a site when you hand it over having not got to know them or kept in touch
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
silverglade

well i revamped my website to look a little more "designhousy". i couldnt get the buttons exactly but they are pretty close LOL. you can see my new site here i would like feedback on it please. it came out a little dark but i had too much white space on the page and it ended up lurky. thanks. derek (the theme of the header is "fire " water , earth, and air.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
domedia
Administrator

Study how other website are using graphics. Collect sites you think are doing a great job. Al tough you have a background in graphic design, I think you might be experiencing what *alot* of print designer are experiencing when they go web, it's completely different. As you can tell I'm not 100% confident in your web design skills. For most hobbyists it's supposed to be fun and a learning process. You're a bit different since you charge for your services and I'm applying some different criteria for you work
Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverglade View Post
well i revamped my website to look a little more "designhousy". i couldnt get the buttons exactly but they are pretty close LOL. you can see my new site here i would like feedback on it please. it came out a little dark but i had too much white space on the page and it ended up lurky. thanks. derek (the theme of the header is "fire " water , earth, and air.

Where you have scrollbars you might want to go for something non-standard. Try something like this...

http://livepipe.net/control/scrollbar

or this...

http://www.kelvinluck.com/assets/jqu...crollPane.html
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
Corrosive

Just looking a bit more at the content of your site. Perhaps this bit...

Quote:
Goals:
I am looking to hone my skills as a freelance web designer working with client demands
and eventually I would like to work for a web design company,
...needs changing.

It says to me 'I want people to pay me to practice web design on their business sites and then, when I'm a bit better, I'll go and apply for a job somewhere else'. Even if this is the case, I wouldn't say it.