logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Hand Coders Forum > General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Colburn

Default How do I change the description in a Google search result

I have designed a new web site to promote my newest interest (mainegardenjournal.com)and I have taken down my previous site (http://lisacolburn.com)and then I had my host provider point the lisacolburn.com site to mainegardenjournal.com. Now what happens, is that if someone searches for lisacolburn, they do go to the mainegardenjournal site, but the description in the google search still has the descriptive info from my prior site:

The Maine Garden Journal

Fused and slumped glass home accessories and wild woman jewelry by Lisa Colburn.
www.lisacolburn.com/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages -

How and where do I go to change this? I want it to state the same info that I have in the meta name desciption in my source code.....that discusses the gardening content.
I'm at a loss as to how to deal with this.
Any ideas?
Colburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colburn View Post
I'm at a loss as to how to deal with this.
Any ideas?
Yes, just leave it. If your meta description and header tags relate to your new content then it will set itself right after a while. Google does as Google wants I'm afraid. I've still got pages indexed that I took down months ago.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Colburn

Default Thank you!

Goodness, there will info about that prior site floating around for a while !
Thank you for your reply.
Lisa
Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
domedia
Administrator

You should have kept your old space for a while and added a 301 redirect.

This tells Google and others that the site has permanently moved and the description in Google would have changed the same day or some days after depending on how often Google would visit your old site.

Notice that http://lisacolburn.com/ is still active. when you go there the url does not change and it shows exactly the same content as mainegardenjournal.com.

In a modern search engines view, there's now two identical websites on the internet. So they're going to ignore one, which is the new one (mainegardenjournal), and keep the original (lisacolbourn) in their index.

You guys have kinda messed this up.
I would ask you hosting provider to stop pointing the old domain to your new space through DNS, and ask them to do a 301 redirect instead.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
domedia
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
Yes, just leave it. If your meta description and header tags relate to your new content then it will set itself right after a while. Google does as Google wants I'm afraid. I've still got pages indexed that I took down months ago.
This is messed up too Corrosive. There's procedures in place to fix this. Catch me on chat so I can help you fix this.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by domedia View Post
This is messed up too Corrosive. There's procedures in place to fix this. Catch me on chat so I can help you fix this.
I know mate. Honestly, two pesky pages (pesky...that makes me a Scooby Doo villain ) I keep submitting these pages to Google via webmaster tools to get them taken down. It was about 15 pages in October...now it's two. Google seems to remove the bulk of them but the detritus is still left behind. I hit a point of 'well, they will just drop off eventually'. Any bright ideas I'd be happy to hear although they are going...slowly.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
domedia
Administrator

If you don't do it right immediately you're losing important search engine juice. All the back links to your old URL is wasted and who wants to 'slowly' launch a new website?
Hit me up on msn next week.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
domedia
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
If your meta description and header tags relate to your new content then it will set itself right after a while.
For the record, meta description does not influence placement/ranking in the serps.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by domedia View Post
For the record, meta description does not influence placement/ranking in the serps.
True, but it does show up on general searches for your business name. It is the enticing line that gets users to click through to your site (hopefully). I'll MSN you soon and see if we can get these last few pages to go. Cheers Dom.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Colburn

Default 301 redirect

I have been able to do the 301 redirect with my web host provider. I am not sure if that will make a difference or not in the long run, but I do want both names to point to the same page.

Thank you
Lisa