logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Web Design
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
kremo5le

Default Website Project Price + Help

Hello there everyone,

I'm working on a website proposal for a fairly complex site. Besides all the simpler stuff like the design, this customer needs some extra stuff and I'm having a bit of a hard time coming up with what it is fair to charge. Here's what needs to be done:

1. The site already and content already exists. I need to re-vamp it and also, I will be writing some basic stuff.
2. The customer will be picking a template + colors.
3. The site will be subscription-driven, e-commerce (don't know what for), a forum, banner ads, newsletter, blog, rss feeds, and classifieds to be used only by the registered users.

Now, here's the tricky stuff:

1. The current site's database is ASP and needs to be converted to MySQL. Moreover, he states that there are thousands of people registered.
2. Each of these users will have a profile and will need to be linked somehow to each of their profiles. These profiles will allow them to upload documents, catalogs, photos, etc.

Roughly, how much would you guys charge for this project? I'm thinking while writing my proposal that I should charge between $1500 and $3000 and it will take about 1 - 2 months to complete.

What do you guys think?

Thank you beforehand!

kRem
kremo5le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Lwilliams

If your unsure on your quote (that part sure can be tricky), you could break the quote down somewhat.
1 hour for this
2 hours for this
etc ...
anything over/under will be billed accordingly.
I don't know if I've described this in an understandable way, however, I've done it before with the more complicated jobs & has helped keep things fair all around.
Good Luck. This sounds like a challenging one. I love those one's best.
Cheers
Lwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
kremo5le

Default Website Design Price [SOLVED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwilliams View Post
If your unsure on your quote (that part sure can be tricky), you could break the quote down somewhat.
1 hour for this
2 hours for this
etc ...
anything over/under will be billed accordingly.
I don't know if I've described this in an understandable way, however, I've done it before with the more complicated jobs & has helped keep things fair all around.
Good Luck. This sounds like a challenging one. I love those one's best.
Cheers
You gave me an excellent idea my friend, and I could come up with a fair price tag for the whole project. I'm still building my portfolio, and I just can't simply charge a lot neither. Gotta go with the market without misleading the customers.

Thank you very much for your time,

kRem
Old 12-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
davidj

Quote:
3. The site will be subscription-driven, e-commerce (don't know what for), a forum, banner ads, newsletter, blog, rss feeds, and classifieds to be used only by the registered users.
Setting up all this in a couple of months will be a challenge.

Do you code?

How do you intend to build the cart functionality?

The dynamic aspects of what you describe above equate to allot of time and experiance

Quote:
Now, here's the tricky stuff:

1. The current site's database is ASP and needs to be converted to MySQL. Moreover, he states that there are thousands of people registered.
your current sites database is Access. ASP is a scripting language. This leads me to believe that you have never used a server language before and therefore i advise you add a few more months on your estimate. 8 if your a quick learner

Quote:
2. Each of these users will have a profile and will need to be linked somehow to each of their profiles. These profiles will allow them to upload documents, catalogs, photos, etc.
This is done in PHP and mysql. Even if you were well versed in the technology then it would take a few months to implement.

Quote:
Roughly, how much would you guys charge for this project? I'm thinking while writing my proposal that I should charge between $1500 and $3000 and it will take about 1 - 2 months to complete.
lets say it takes you 2 months. This equates to 62 days or 1488 hours total but you wont be working all those. Ok so you work 10 hours a day inc weekends which equals 620 hours. If you charge $3000 then this makes you worth $4.84 per hour.

An application of what you have described is worth more than $10,000 +

A company would budget around $50,000 ++ for a professionally delivered, well documented, project managed product.

Last edited by davidj; 12-21-2008 at 09:00 PM..
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
kremo5le

Arrow Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
Setting up all this in a couple of months will be a challenge.

Do you code?

How do you intend to build the cart functionality?

The dynamic aspects of what you describe above equate to allot of time and experiance

your current sites database is Access. ASP is a scripting language. This leads me to believe that you have never used a server language before and therefore i advise you add a few more months on your estimate. 8 if your a quick learner

This is done in PHP and mysql. Even if you were well versed in the technology then it would take a few months to implement.

lets say it takes you 2 months. This equates to 62 days or 1488 hours total but you wont be working all those. Ok so you work 10 hours a day inc weekends which equals 620 hours. If you charge $3000 then this makes you worth $4.84 per hour.

An application of what you have described is worth more than $10,000 +

A company would budget around $50,000 ++ for a professionally delivered, well documented, project managed product.
Wow! Finally, a good answer!

Yes my friend, I'm an expert in the design area. However, how many designers start the same way I am? Getting projects here and there any way you can?

In the other hand, I have been considering using Joomla for this. I know this is a Dreamweaver forum, but I will be using the program too to accomplish my task.

As far as the time, I'm a quick learner, but I don't think the customer will be laying around waiting for me (bad for him). To be honest, the client is really cheap, and I'm feeling like I don't want to be dealing with him anymore.

Finally, the price I gave him is definitely not close to what you suggest I charge--unfortunately. Anyhow, this is how you learn to price projects right.

Well my friend, thank you very much for your suggestion.

Have a great day,

kRem