logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Photoshop
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
cradl

Question Making a Logo

Tryn to make a logo out of this pic. Can't duplicate it can anyone help me out. It seems like it would be easy but can't figure it out. Any Help???

Last edited by cradl; 11-20-2008 at 05:11 PM..
cradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
cradl

Can anyone help???
Old 11-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradl View Post
Can anyone help???
Don't really understand what you need/want. Sorry
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
cradl

Looking to take that pic (Square) and make a jpeg out of it for part of a logo. Acually make it from scratch.Then I think I could find a text sim. to what is on there. Tried to scan and fix colors and scratchs but couldn't get it. Then tried to redraw it but couldn't figure it out. Still new to Photoshop. Wondering it someone could help me out. Mabe 400x400 for the squre to start out and then I can resize it as I need it.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Rob_Che

I don't have the font - it'll be listed as "art deco" or something, it's certainly that era. What programs do you use ?

It would be very easy in a vector program. Illustrator / Corel ?
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
cradl

I have Corel X2, Illistrator Cs3, PhotoshopCs3. I can always change the font right? I will look and see if I can download it somewhere.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
Rob_Che

OK, I'm going to give you a quick demo on how I would recreate this logo.
It's worth mentioning that this is the technique I would use and doesn't necessarily reflect the 'industry standard' etc, consider that a disclaimer The second disclaimer will be that the jpeg is of poor quality so may not be exact to the original, it will be darn close though I hope.

OK. First I import the Jpeg we have into Corel.
Now, I'm going to do this without guides even though it's grid design... I'll show you why later on. I'm also going to create the logo with the white sections being transparent, only the black will be a vector, that way it can be used on a transparent background.

I've set my line to yellow and to .3mm just so you can see where they are! The final vectors will not have outlines.

I'm going to start with the 4 'pillars' below the diamonds.
I start by drawing a rectangle over the left pillar.
I double click the bottom right node of the rectangle, this selects that corner only. Dragging the node upwards curves the corner... (The node is highlighted pink)

Now that's all I'm going to do to that pillar at this stage except to duplicate it and mirror it to form the right pillar. This can be found in Transformations > Scale and Mirror. Just place it roughly for now.

I'm going to use the same process for the 2 centre pillars, except you will need to curve both bottom nodes to form the curved bottom edge.

Next we'll start on the top diamonds. Start by drawing a square (ensure that you hold down the control key to keep it a square and not a rectangle). Rotate it 45 degrees.

To do this, either click on the square, hold down control and free rotate (holding control ensures the square moves in measured increments) Next, resize and squeeze the diamond until it fits over the original.

Duplicate this twice and place roughly over the other 2 diamonds.

Select ALL 7 shapes we have drawn.
Goto Object > Align and Distribute > Align and Distribute... > Distribute > Spacing (as highlighted)
(See - no grid !)

This will distribute all the items equally horizontally, the diamonds should now be centered in the gaps of the pillars.

Last edited by Rob_Che; 11-19-2008 at 10:54 PM..
Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Rob_Che

Next, select all 4 pillars and
Goto: Object > Align and Distribute > Align Top, to bring all the pillars in line vertically.

Ok, next select the first diamond and hit + to duplicate it in place.

Go to the size at the top of the page and enter a new size [highlighted], play with this until it is the size of the larger diamond. (ensuring aspect ratio is locked [highlighted] or they will just get taller, not wider.)

Do this for all three diamonds.

Next we want to crop the pillars so that they have the angled edge like the original image.

Select the larger diamond on the left and goto Object > Shaping > 'Shaping', this should bring up the shaping toolbar. Hit Trim > Source Object and click on the left hand pillar.

Do the same again and click the second pillar. You should see the pillars being 'cropped'.

Repeat this until all pillars have been trimmed by the diamonds that overlap them and delete the larger diamonds... You should have something like this:

Last edited by Rob_Che; 11-19-2008 at 10:56 PM..
Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
Rob_Che

If you remove the stroke and color in black, this is what you should have now.

Using the same techniques I cropped the shapes from the background squares until I was happy with them.

As you can see from the image below, the shapes have all been cut out, rather than laying vectors on top of vectors.

I hope that helps... I'll be happy to answer any questions or expand.

I have the file saved so if you want it it's yours Cradl, although I hope you try and replicate what I have done... there's more satisfaction in that than just opening my .eps

Rob

Last edited by Rob_Che; 11-20-2008 at 12:27 AM..
Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
cradl

Ok guess not as famillar with drawing as I thought. Preset rectangle then when I select bottom corner it still curves all corners?? Show nodes, create on vector, miter joint.