logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Photoshop
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Interstellar Icon

Question How to edit color/lightness of leaves in Photoshop

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Photoshop, and I'm having a problem with a website template that I'm working on. Here's the unedited image:

My client asked if I could make the leaves at the top of the design greener and lighter. After playing around with the image filters, I came up with this:

We both agree that the leaves toward the right side (over 'brothwell phd') look good, but the leaves on the left (over 'lisa m') look "fake". Any suggestions on what I can do to make these look better?

Here's what I've done to create the existing changes:

Image -> Adjustments -> Levels
-Channel: Green
-Output Levels (low value): +50

Image -> Adjustments -> Hue/Saturation
-Lightness: +5

Any input or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
Sam
Interstellar Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Rob_Che

Doesn't sound like you're far off. The 'fake' appearence may be due to the cropping/masking style you're using rather than the color selection... but anyway...

OK... Try;
Masking the area you want to edit (even making a new layer from it)
Select the color you want the leaves to be with the eyedropper.
Go to Hue/Saturation: Colorize.
Lighten the areas you want, this will pull through the foreground color too...

I'm not at my PC at the mo... I might have a play later...
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
d a v e

have you got a link to a better quality version or even the psd??
d a v e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
Interstellar Icon

Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Che View Post
Doesn't sound like you're far off. The 'fake' appearence may be due to the cropping/masking style you're using rather than the color selection... but anyway...

OK... Try;
Masking the area you want to edit (even making a new layer from it)
Select the color you want the leaves to be with the eyedropper.
Go to Hue/Saturation: Colorize.
Lighten the areas you want, this will pull through the foreground color too...

I'm not at my PC at the mo... I might have a play later...
I used the Magic Wand Tool to select the leaves, and then applied the filters while they were still selected. I can try masking if you think it will make a difference, and if I do, wouldn't I want to mask the areas I don't want to edit? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying.)

I'll try the process you outlined and let you know how I make out. If you come up with anything else, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d a v e View Post
have you got a link to a better quality version or even the psd??
The JPGs I uploaded were saved with the highest quality settings in Photoshop (File -> Save As). I think what you're seeing is the the Diffuse Glow filter (Filter -> Distort -> Diffuse Glow) I applied in an effort to make the image look a bit less "literal". I don't really like this look, either, and that was going to be my next question.

Here's the original image:

Let me know if that does it for you.

Thanks again,
Sam
Old 11-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstellar Icon View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for your input.

I used the Magic Wand Tool to select the leaves, and then applied the filters while they were still selected. I can try masking if you think it will make a difference, and if I do, wouldn't I want to mask the areas I don't want to edit? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying.)

I'll try the process you outlined and let you know how I make out. If you come up with anything else, please let me know.

The JPGs I uploaded were saved with the highest quality settings in Photoshop (File -> Save As). I think what you're seeing is the the Diffuse Glow filter (Filter -> Distort -> Diffuse Glow) I applied in an effort to make the image look a bit less "literal". I don't really like this look, either, and that was going to be my next question.

Here's the original image:

Let me know if that does it for you.

Thanks again,
Sam
Hi Sam

In my opinion you are heading down a difficult path with this design. It will be very 'image heavy' and the surrounding images will distract viewers from the content. I would suggest toning it down a bit.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Interstellar Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
Hi Sam

In my opinion you are heading down a difficult path with this design. It will be very 'image heavy' and the surrounding images will distract viewers from the content. I would suggest toning it down a bit.
Thanks Corrosive. I think that's good input, and it's something I'll definitely keep in mind as I move forward. I think the finished site will appear less "image heavy" than the template, as the "page" portion of the design should take up most of the screen for most user settings. I'll post here again once I have a page up for additional feedback.

Sam
Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstellar Icon View Post
Thanks Corrosive. I think that's good input, and it's something I'll definitely keep in mind as I move forward. I think the finished site will appear less "image heavy" than the template, as the "page" portion of the design should take up most of the screen for most user settings. I'll post here again once I have a page up for additional feedback.

Sam
Hey Sam

When I said 'image heavy' I was referring to download speed of pages. People tend to use simple repeating or colour backgrounds because it keeps the file size of images down. I think your background will take an age to load as it was one huge image.

Just a thought mate
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Rob_Che

My advice? Find another image... once you've messed and lightened and edited and masked it's going to look a mess...

Just my 2p,.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #9
d a v e

or use a cropped, smaller version as a header
d a v e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Rob_Che

Or grayscale it and hand color it ?
If you're set on that image maybe you could make it look more like an illustration - you have more freedom then.