logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Web Design
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Rob_Che
Rob_Che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,552
Default New site for your critique . . .

Here is a little site I have just completed: http://www.sherbetpips.com

I'd be happy to hear your opinions and advice.
I'll leave it at that ! (apart from to say BUY SOMETHING!)

Cheers
Rob

Disclaimer: I am aware of some 'heavy handed' coding and there are some things I'll be striping out but I'llleave you to discover the bad bits There are also no Meta Tags... I'm waiting for this still.
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
davidj
davidj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Toon (newcastle upon Tyne)
Posts: 8,256
Default

its a really nice site mate

no pics of the sweets to bring back memories
__________________
Would you like to learn PHP from me? Check out -> www.codezenith.co.uk
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
coloeagle
coloeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 596
Default

First off I give a thumbs up to the design. An instant bright and cheery feeling.

I like the link consistency with one small issue.

OK, now that the mushy stuff is out of the way

Just a few observations.

From a users point of view;
  1. No link to the home page, can you make the header link to this or possibly the words "Sweet Shop" a link?
  2. How about having a hover change even after a link has been visited?
  3. On the contact page how about a telephone number and or a snail mail postal address
From a coders view the page coding can be lightened up;

You have two instances of
HTML Code:
<A NAME="top"></A>
One needs to be removed or you can remove both of them and have your "to top" link set to
HTML Code:
a href="#header-bg"
Rather than use
HTML Code:
<div class="lineBreak"></div>
You could use an hr and style it with css.

If having a green validation check mark is important to you, with the image in the "Back to Top" there is no alt tag. Since this image really serves no importance to the page content simply use an empty alt tag -- alt=""
coloeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Corrosive
Corrosive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 7,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
its a really nice site mate

no pics of the sweets to bring back memories
Hey Rob. I'm with DJ on both counts... looks fantastic but needs more sweets, especially in the first page.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Rob_Che
Rob_Che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloeagle View Post
From a users point of view;
  1. No link to the home page, can you make the header link to this or possibly the words "Sweet Shop" a link?
  2. How about having a hover change even after a link has been visited?
  3. On the contact page how about a telephone number and or a snail mail postal address
I agree on all points... I'll make the changes - The Hover works in FF - I didn't realise i'd lost the hover in IE. I'll look at that. Re. Telephone contact - I do need to add an address, especially as we invite cheque payments !

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloeagle View Post
From a coders view the page coding can be lightened up;
You have two instances of
HTML Code:
<A NAME="top"></A>
One needs to be removed or you can remove both of them and have your "to top" link set to
HTML Code:
a href="#header-bg"
Rather than use
HTML Code:
<div class="lineBreak"></div>
You could use an hr and style it with css.
I didn't realise I'd duplicated the A NAME="top" ?
That's just a mistake...
Don't know what a 'hr' is... Very interesting.
I'm on it ! - http://www.sovavsiti.cz/css/hr.html

The green tick is important to me - It will validate easy enough.
Thanks for taking the time to check it out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
Hey Rob. I'm with DJ on both counts... looks fantastic but needs more sweets, especially in the first page.
Yeah, just working on that now... I'm totally redoing the header... The main reason is that I don't have a good camera! All the product shots I take seem to suck. Now that it's running I'll be tinkering for a bit I'm sure!

Cheers all... glad you like it.
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Corrosive
Corrosive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 7,103
Default

Product shots are really hard to get right mate. Maccy D's pay people lots of money to make their products look fantastic in comparison to what you actually get served to you by the pox marked teenagers behind the counter. Might be worth considering getting a pro to do some for you or trying your suppliers or manufacturers to see if they have some pro shots you can use.

Just a thought.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Rob_Che
Rob_Che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,552
Default

Just in the midle of doing just that! I have many pro photographer friends... time to call in a favour !
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
2bz2p
2bz2p's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cape Cod, MA, USA
Posts: 266
Default

Looks great I like the design, and what is (Plus P&P) we use S&H shipping and Handling, but I am curious to what the p&p stands for.

I realy like that child feel to it like I am in the candy shop
2b
__________________
"PHP is like a virtual technical lego set but imagine the biggest box ever" -- DJ

My Projects_____________________
vPilot <-- Custom Virtual Pilot Management Systems
2bz2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
Corrosive
Corrosive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 7,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bz2p View Post
Looks great I like the design, and what is (Plus P&P) we use S&H shipping and Handling, but I am curious to what the p&p stands for.

I realy like that child feel to it like I am in the candy shop
2b
Postage & Packing.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Rob_Che
Rob_Che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bz2p View Post
I realy like that child feel to it like I am in the candy shop
2b

Cheers 2b... It will feel more like a candy shop when I get some sweets on it !
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 DreamweaverClub.com