logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Web Design
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
africano

Default Css/Frames Loading--Experts?--

I had a chat with one of the teachers on this course Im doing. He teaches us flash and I asked him a few questions about webdesign.

I showed him the site Im currently working on: http://www.elchevirtual.com/

And he asked me if I was going to use frames to load info into the main part when I click on a link.
I told him no. And that what I would do is apply a template to the rest of the pages and do it like that. He said that he didnt think that was right, as the whole page would have to load again and that in his opinion that was not very logical.

I hope Im explaining myself more or less....basically he made a point that if I used a frame to only load the content that changed then it would be better.

Ive read online that frames arent really recommended, so my question is when using css, does everything have to load or how is it done.

I realise Im probably not explaining myself correclty but I hope that you can see the point or issue Im raising....
For an example: This site Im working on:http://www.elchevirtual.com/ACUARIO/

It has a flash bubble movie which plays in the header, everytime a link is clicked and a new page is loaded, the flash movie loads again.
Would it not be better to have it constatly playing(better for speed,weith of site?)
africano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by africano View Post
I had a chat with one of the teachers on this course Im doing. He teaches us flash and I asked him a few questions about webdesign.

I showed him the site Im currently working on: http://www.elchevirtual.com/

And he asked me if I was going to use frames to load info into the main part when I click on a link.
I told him no. And that what I would do is apply a template to the rest of the pages and do it like that. He said that he didnt think that was right, as the whole page would have to load again and that in his opinion that was not very logical.

I hope Im explaining myself more or less....basically he made a point that if I used a frame to only load the content that changed then it would be better.

Ive read online that frames arent really recommended, so my question is when using css, does everything have to load or how is it done.

I realise Im probably not explaining myself correclty but I hope that you can see the point or issue Im raising....
For an example: This site Im working on:http://www.elchevirtual.com/ACUARIO/

It has a flash bubble movie which plays in the header, everytime a link is clicked and a new page is loaded, the flash movie loads again.
Would it not be better to have it constatly playing(better for speed,weith of site?)
Hi mate. Try not to use frames if you can. They are really a way to show a site within a site. Time how long it takes to download the page. I just did and it was about 4 seconds. Not a problem if you ask me.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
africano

Yeah I know mate. Iam no expert on the subject, but according to him having to load each page everytime is not very efficient. If you have elements which are the same on the pages, why should they load everytime?

Imagine my flash was a big file, having to load that file everytime a page is opened wouldnt be good.

**This is not my opinion, its the questions he asked me and I was unable to anwser, thats why Id like to know.
africano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Rob_Che

The browser should cache the information (flash movie and images) so it shouldn't take as long to load after the first time...
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
edbr

teacher needs a refresher course. his point about re loading is not very important, a few seconds is not a problem, there is content to read so no waiting for something to happen. its a cmpomise well worth the trade off to not use frames.
apart from design viewpoint in the real world there is search engines to consider and ultimately site visability to its market.
Its fun arguing with teachers

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Rob_Che

I just realised, I replied to a post addressed to "experts". I'm not.
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
domedia
Administrator

africano, your teacher does not really understand the web, unfortunately. This is one of the big problems with the educational institutions today. It's really hard for them to get any kind of good people teaching this skill because everyone is busy making websites and taking part of the dynamic web dynamic industry.

The browser cache will make sure that common files are not reloaded every time.

Either way, even if there was no cache, it's no excuse to make the site inaccessible and misusing technologies for something they were not made for.

You probably want to limit your question to your teacher about Flash, and keep web questions away from him Or even send him here to this forum so we can help him if he wants
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote