logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Web Hosting and FTP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Steakaphagus

Default Recommendations for a host?

Hi guys,
I've had a good trawl through various comparison sites, reviews, etc, and still no ideas about which host to use (shared hosting package in UK)......
I've had a couple of recent probs with 1&1 (poor customer support), and have read loads of bad reviews about them, so not keen on that path....
HostPapa sounded OK, but sent them a few questions 3 days ago, and no reply, which doesn't give much confidence.
Any opinions on Bluehost? Read a couple of good things about them - anyone else use them?
Any other suggestions? (good or bad)
Steakaphagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakaphagus View Post
Hi guys,
I've had a good trawl through various comparison sites, reviews, etc, and still no ideas about which host to use (shared hosting package in UK)......
I've had a couple of recent probs with 1&1 (poor customer support), and have read loads of bad reviews about them, so not keen on that path....
HostPapa sounded OK, but sent them a few questions 3 days ago, and no reply, which doesn't give much confidence.
Any opinions on Bluehost? Read a couple of good things about them - anyone else use them?
Any other suggestions? (good or bad)
I've got sites at fasthosts, reliable but quite pricey and you have to pay extra for mysql, and EUKHosts, good customer service and loads of free stuff but slightly less reliable on the up time.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Steakaphagus

Thanks Corrosive - have had a look at those two on the web - do you have shared hosting or dedicated with them? I found loads of bad reviews on Fasthosts, and that they have even been sued recently for excess downtime! Put me off a bit.
EUKhost looks good though - seems they had some pretty bad downtime issues a while ago, but may have sorted this - what issues have you had with them?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
lux

i've recently used varihost.net, their a reseller of heart

the reason i went for them for a few smaller sites is becasue I found the guy in charge extremely helpful and gets back to queries and questions almost straight away.

a basic package is under 5 per month, one months notice to leave and 5 MySQL dbs included per account, + free .co.uk.

drop him an email and i'm sure he will get back to you v. quickly.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Corrosive

Quote:
Thanks Corrosive - have had a look at those two on the web - do you have shared hosting or dedicated with them? I found loads of bad reviews on Fasthosts, and that they have even been sued recently for excess downtime! Put me off a bit.
EUKhost looks good though - seems they had some pretty bad downtime issues a while ago, but may have sorted this - what issues have you had with them?
Hello. I can only tell you my personal experiences but at the moment I'd go for eukhosts. We have had a couple of downtime problems but they get it back up really quickly. The live chat facility they have is excellent for getting issues sorted fast. Also, unlimited mysql and unlimited add on domains. Very useful for us as we deal with local businesses who have max of 10 - 15 pages per site so we can sell the hosting with little impact on our space.

Hope this helps but really the decision is yours fella.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Steakaphagus

Thanks guys - I think I'm probably going to go with EUKhosts - they seem to have had a few probs, but then who hasn't? You're right about the forum Corrosive - looks pretty good, and I see that the admin guys reply to stuff pretty quick.
Sure can't be worse than 1and 1 anyway! I've had loads of probs with them, and am now trying to downgrade my services with them before jumping ship - and guess what - they aint making it easy!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Corrosive

Quote:
they aint making it easy!
They never do. You tried changing banks recently? That is a right PITA
Old 09-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Death Dream

Hostgator here in the states is great and cheap! There support is very very helpful. I am not sure if they got anything in the UK but doesn't hurt to look.

~Death Dream~
Old 09-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
nias6969

Hi
I am based in Spain (can't see a problem with the host company being a continent away!- it's a world wide web!) and have just started with Hostgator myself, needed to ask a lot of questions and the reply's were very precise and extremely rapid.
So far they seem excellent.
nias6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
edbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nias6969 View Post
Hi
I am based in Spain (can't see a problem with the host company being a continent away!- it's a world wide web!) and have just started with Hostgator myself, needed to ask a lot of questions and the reply's were very precise and extremely rapid.
So far they seem excellent.
Yes i agree , I have choice of locations for server Indonesia,Australia or the States. i always choose the States

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote