logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Photoshop
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
africano

Default Layout and Rulers!

Hi, hopefully I can explain myself. Im working on a design where I want my page to be 900 width but I want the footer to extend the whole screen size, like this:http://www.fmnmedia.co.uk/.

How do I setup up a document in photoshop for this? Want to get it right so I get my stuff in the right part and with the correct measurements!
africano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by africano View Post
Hi, hopefully I can explain myself. Im working on a design where I want my page to be 900 width but I want the footer to extend the whole screen size, like this:http://www.fmnmedia.co.uk/.

How do I setup up a document in photoshop for this? Want to get it right so I get my stuff in the right part and with the correct measurements!
Hi mate

Design your main content however you want it (900px wide) and then put this in a wrapper to centralise it as you would normally (auto margins). Put your footer outside of your wrapper and make it 100% width so that it stretches right across the screen in any browser/resolution/screen etc. You can achieve an effect like the one you posted by just using background colours in the div but if you want a graphic footer then slice a thin version of your gradient or whatever and repeat X.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
africano

Im thinking of a new design for my site. Thinking simple....and have this so far in Photoshop...Any advice? What could I add to make it better??Am I on the right track??

Here is a first jpeg.

http://www.elchevirtual.com/designv01.jpg

Ive seen a lot of css sites and In my opinion the best ones are quite simple, bright and fun....want to go for something like that....Another thing, how can I achive the Glass or Glossy look alot of them have??
Old 09-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Rob_Che

Quote:
...and have this so far in Photoshop...Any advice? What could I add to make it better??Am I on the right track??
Yes, I think you are on the right track. It need pulling together though...
It's really arty-farty but you need to think through the whole thing (I can't bring myself to say conceptualize)

The sections have no relationship with each other at the moment...

For example, bringing the menu to meet the header... re-using elements so users feel familiar as they browse...

See attached... Not trying to patronise, just trying to throw a few things around.

Quote:
Ive seen a lot of css sites and In my opinion the best ones are quite simple, bright and fun....
Don't mistake SIMPLE for EASY

Quote:
Another thing, how can I achive the Glass or Glossy look alot of them have??
It's not difficult.
Have a google - if you don't find anything, come back and I'll post something for you.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (95.9 KB, 7 views)
Rob_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
africano

Makes a real differrence Rob! Small details but you are 100 percent right, it sorta ties everything together.Thanks for the ideas and not patronising at all! Its what I wanted some feedback/suggestions on how to improve!

Thanks. For the glossy glass shine effect Ive found some tutorials which consist on making a new layer say above the header. this is brighter than the bottm layer, it sort of halves the header in two, one brighter half and one lower half(makes sense?) using the gradient tool i think... Im not too happy with this solution...
Old 09-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
Rob_Che

Keep playing with it - there's loads of different ways.

Check some more tutorials and pick the best bits of each
Old 09-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Corrosive

Quote:
Makes a real differrence Rob! Small details but you are 100 percent right, it sorta ties everything together.Thanks for the ideas and not patronising at all! Its what I wanted some feedback/suggestions on how to improve!

Thanks. For the glossy glass shine effect Ive found some tutorials which consist on making a new layer say above the header. this is brighter than the bottm layer, it sort of halves the header in two, one brighter half and one lower half(makes sense?) using the gradient tool i think... Im not too happy with this solution...
Google 'Web 2.0' tutorials. This is the look you are after and there are thousands.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
africano

Cheers corrosive, Web 2.0 in google gives out a LOT of usefull things to play with.

Ive tried these http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...rs.html?cat=59

But I dont seem to get the right look...

Will keep at it with the tutorials, if I dont get anywhere Ill be back on here tomorow for some advice! (Rob...hehe)

C ya.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Rob_Che

This is pretty long winded but it's pretty much what I do...
http://www.tutorialized.com/view/tut...Photoshop/7455

Here's the button:
Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
Rob_Che

Can't see why you'd want it translucent for web work though...