logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Web Design
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
Interstellar Icon

Question Launching website redesign

Hi All,

I'm doing a website redesign for a client, and since I'm pretty new to web design, it's probably going to take me awhile to complete all the pages. The current site has 15-20 pages, and many of them have embedded flash files, embedded audio/video files, .pdf files, etc. I quoted a timeframe of 30 days to complete the redesign, and my client asked if we could do the redesign as a work-in-progress, i.e. publish new pages as they are completed. This would mean that both new and old pages would be live on the site until the redesign is completed.

I'm just wondering if any of you have encountered this type of request before, and what you think the best course of action would be. The new design is starkly different than the old (I can provide samples if desired), so there wouldn't be much continuity - but I also want to honor my clients request, and do what I can to accommodate it.

Thanks in advance, and any input will be appreciated.

Sam
Interstellar Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
davidj

I would try and talk them out of this but at the end of the day your getting paid so you have to do as requested. The best one i heard was a mate had designed a site and it was bling, really nice. Upon completion and go live the client turned to my mate and asked him to include a rotating envelope he found and ripped from another site! Nightmare but what could he do.

you have agree'd a time scale so i would sugest you talk to your client and ask them if you can go live in one go at the end of the term. If you say something like.... "By going live in one go will keep the costs down" all the client sees at this point is extra $$$ and you might get away with it
Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Corrosive

Sam

I can't see the benefit to your client in going live bit by bit. It will look a mess and you'd be better off launching the whole re-design in one go. Also it gives you no chances for 'snagging' and for the client to agree aspects of the design before they are on the web. Davidj is right, you should use your powers of persuasion to talk your client out of this course of action. Suggest a 'relaunch' day and they can make a big song and dance of 'new website coming soon' and maybe tie in a marketing campaign to accompany the relaunch. Jeez, it's only 30 days to wait after all!
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Interstellar Icon

Smile

Thanks guys! You both have basically confirmed my hunch that it's not a good way to go, so I'll try to relay that in a user-friendly way. I'm thinking about suggesting that we relaunch with a "no frills" website, i.e. only the essential pages, basic text and images, etc., and then add everything else after launch.

I'll let you know how it goes, and I'll probably post the site here for review/feedback, as well.

Thanks again,
Sam
Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Corrosive

No problem Sam. Don't forget that although 'the customer is always right' you can manage their expectations and they have employed you as an expert and they should listen to your advice as such.

Good luck

By the way, do you have a URL for the old site? Would be interested in what you are going to re-create.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Interstellar Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive View Post
By the way, do you have a URL for the old site? Would be interested in what you are going to re-create.
You can view the existing site here: http://www.lccny.com/.

Here's the comp of the new design:

If you (or anyone) has any suggestions toward improving upon the new design, please feel free to provide input.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 06-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
davidj

a nice improvement
Old 06-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Corrosive

Yes, I agree. Yours is a much better design. Much less cluttered and I prefer the colours. Still smart but a bit less dark and old fashioned than the old one. You gonna build this one with CSS then Sam? Actually, you have a lot of drop shadows on there. Maybe too many?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Interstellar Icon

Thanks again, guys! It's good to know that I'm moving in the right direction.

Quote:
Actually, you have a lot of drop shadows on there. Maybe too many?
Yeah, I'm like a kid in a candy store with Photoshop. Here's an updated comp:

Let me know what you think.

Quote:
You gonna build this one with CSS then Sam?
Good question. My client has agreed to my expedited relaunch plan, which will require 10 redesigned pages (including only text, images, and links) by June 16th. He's going to be doing a lot of advertising for the Grand Opening of their swimming pool complex on June 29th, and he wants the new design to be live for any traffic he can drive to the site. (All in all, I suppose that's a good thing. ) I've begun review of the CSS tutorial that domedia turned me on to (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/css_concepts_cs3.html), but I still have a ways to go. Is it realistic for me to be up-to-speed with a CSS-based site in this time frame, or am I better off going with tables and converting to CSS at a later date?

Thanks again for all of your help, and any additional input welcomed, as well...

Sam
Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
domedia
Administrator

That page you have above is not very ahrd to do with CSS. But I imagine the inside pages have a more content focused design, right? Do you have a mockup of an inside page as well?

I could give you some hints/advice/help on making this CSS if you're interested.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote