logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Web Design
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
designingdani

Default just finished a site (rather long)

i just finished, at least the first phase of, my first contracted website. i would love for you all to critique it for me. i'm sure you'll be able to tell i'm a beginner, but any suggestions on how to make it better are welcomed. http://peopleneedgod.com i've put a lot of blood/sweat/tears into this so don't be too cruel

as a disclaimer, b/c i'm sure there would be comments about it, the enter site page thing really wasn't my idea and i'd like to do away with it eventually, but that's how the client wanted it so i had to honor that until i can persuade them otherwise. they wanted a way for the user to get back to the church's homepage without putting a link on every page. it will be an evolving site so i'm hoping that will be one thing will evolve it's way out of it.

after finishing this site, i am thinking that web design is something i'd like to add to my resume. i don't know flash though which seems like a pre-requisite to being a web designer. did any of you teach yourself flash? would it be hard? i've only had one basic web design class and were it not for dreamweaverclub and visual startup guides, i wouldn't have made it this far. are any of you mostly self-taught web designers or is the technology so vast now that it would take some extensive classroom instruction to be industry ready for web design?
designingdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
davidj

if that is your first site then you have a gift. Its not bad and i like the concept but its been done before. You have to be careful when implementing a design like this as there not much room for content. Also keeping with the realistic theme would it be better to incorporate the links in the journal as paper tabs or bookmarks giving the impression as if each page has content and rather than an arrow depicting a next page button you could have a curled page corner. This keeps the realistic impression.

You are an artist. A designer. Its something which your born with and this gives you a massive head start among'st developers with the same skills and experience. All you have to do now is absorb new techniques and technologies and over time you will become a great web designer. Its not a requisite for a designer to have Flash on their CV but the more skills you have to offer then the more shiny you will appear to design houses if you decide you want to look for a job. I don't think its that important having this skill if you were to compare it to say a server side scripting language though
Old 10-15-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
domedia
Administrator

Looks beautiful! The concept has been done before, but so has every concept
The only thing is that it borders what you might call a website.
You're basically having a few images and putting a link on some of them.
There's no text for non-visual browser/application, which makes the site inaccessible, for people with js turned off, text browsers, disabilities, search engines etc.

The homepage kept me wondering what kind of site this was, and the inside pages didn't help.. no contact information either. Did not figure out the navigation. There's no link on the arrow graphic on this page, just a '#' sign where the url should be:
http://peopleneedgod.com/peopleneedg...n_purpose.html

I don't think flash is prerequisite to being a web-designer, but what is a web designer anyways. Where I work we each have a role in the website-making process, but if you plan to work as a one man show, then you do need to spread yourself out thin, or get some good contractors to work with.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Jittor

Location: A place that always seems to be surrounded by Hurricanes!

I agree this concept has been played out, but it's cool for a Christian site, and if that's what the client wants that's what the client gets. Some people you just can't talk them out of it.

I have been to a number of site like this, so I was natually searching for hidden links bu there were only 2. I was disappointed and wanted more. Also, the first page in the journal has the pictures with "People Need God" At first glance I though why does this guys picture say God, does he think that high if himself, then I realized what you had done. You already have "People need God" all over the site, so I think having it there is redundant. Try their names or titles instead.

Just my thoguhts.

Bannon Productions - Affordable Website Design and Graphics Design
Jittor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
wasovs4

Great Work And If This Is Your First Site It Is Amazing.......

www.projectwasim.co.uk
Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
designingdani

i do plan on adding more hidden links or "easter eggs" if you will. like i said, this is just the first phase. there's some navigation issues with the obvious links i'd like to address before i have some fun.

jittor, you weren't the first to comment on some guy's picture being labeled "God" so i guess that's gonna have to go.

i really like the tab idea. as the site progresses i'm realizing this style is presenting some space issues and tabs would definitely ease that a bit. i like the curled page idea too.

i really appreciate all the encouragement and direction. all of your comments were so helpful. i can't quite get that level of criticism from friends and family.
designingdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Jittor

Location: A place that always seems to be surrounded by Hurricanes!

Quote:
i can't quite get that level of criticism from friends and family.
isn't that the truth.

We are always happy to give feedback. Sometimes it may not be what you want to hear, but we have your best interest at heart. One thing I was always taught was to never fall in love with your work. If you do you will never see anything wrong and will be closed minded to any feedback given - thus, never improving

Bannon Productions - Affordable Website Design and Graphics Design
Jittor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #8
Atomico™

Hey that's pretty good though. But just wait until you run into a client who demands you use his images (usually designed by a son or nephew...).

I've learned to say LATER! to those people. Even if you need the money they can bring in, it's not worth it.

But I like the site man
Atomico™ is offline   Reply With Quote