logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Hand Coders Forum > General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
Dante2004

Default Dynamic Webpage + DSNless connection = I'm lost!

Background:
Dreamweaver CS3
MS Access 2007
ASP pages

Before you hate on me for using Access, please understand that all this is new to me (dynamic web pages) and I wanted to have to learn as few "new things" as possible. I am already fairly fluent with Access and this database (and the info within it) must be used by the people in the office. They already know Access...so I would be willing to learn SQL and PHP or some other combo only if it greatly simplied my issues and improved the learning curve.

In the mean time...
This is the site I am working on
http://site433.mysite4now.net/echoho...hedule-dyn.asp
(Still doing some major edits so the format will change. And yes I know some of the info is duplicated on the page).

Eventually, once it is completed this will replace the old website and the domain name will be re-directed to this site.

Now the issue...

Dreamweaver & DSNless connection
I am fairly familiar with Dreamweaver and creating static web pages. However this is my first attempt at a dynamic webpage and I have hit several hurdles.

First I setup a DSN connection and setup my computer as a "test server". Eventually I had all the bugs worked out and the data displayed just the way I wanted it to. Then I uploaded the new site to the host to test it "live" or "online". This is where the trouble began. The host suggests a DSNless connection. And they supplied the following script

Set oConn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

filePath = Server.MapPath("Your Access DB File")

oConn.Open("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" +filePath)

I entered this script into the Database/Custom Connection String/Connection string in Dreamweaver CS3, making the changes for my db file.

Set oConn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection"); filePath = Server.MapPath("echohockeydb.mdb"); oConn.Open("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" +\echohockey\Database)

When I click "Test" I get the following error

Unknown error 0x800A0BB9
Arguements are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in conflict with one another.

Since I am just learning, I don't know if I entered the information in the script wrong, or if my problem lies elsewhere. The really frustrating part is that my page is uploaded and it displays data as you can see if you clicked the link above. However, I need to change the format an re-arrange some things. When I go back to add/edit the record sets it tells me that it cannot find the record set or the database connection. Now, what you see online is the format from the page PRIOR to me changing to the DSNless connection. Not sure why/how that data is displaying since according to Dreamweaver it cannot find the db. But, like I said, this is all new to me.

Is the problem obvious? Do you need mor info to troubleshoot? Sorry for this question, I am teetering on the edge of being out of my league with this project.

I am not trying to get someone to do all the work for me, just point me in the right direction. Is this something little that I am doing wrong? I don't just want it fixed, I want to learn how to fix it because this page is just the tip of the ice berg for me and this project. I own this business and at this point don't have the budget to hire someone to do the website full time.

THANKS!!!
Dante2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
Dante2004

Ok...reading the above post may be a little confusing.

This page works exactly the way I want it to...as least for now. I can make modifications to the my db, upload the new version and the info displays on the page.
http://site433.mysite4now.net/echohockey/news.asp

However, here is the issue. If I want to modify the server behaviors in Dreamweaver, I get an error saying that it cannot find the record set. I created it originally when I was using the DSN connection. Now there are red ! next to all of them. However, apparently the code, when the page is online, works fine.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
Dante2004

Still working on this...

Learning more as I go...I have two connection files for the DSNless connection

connECHOHockey.asp
<%
Set oConn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
filePath = Server.MapPath("Database\echohockeydb.mdb")
oConn.Open("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" +filePath)
%>

And connECHOHockey2.asp
<%
' FileName="Connection_ado_conn_string.htm"
' Type="ADO"
' DesigntimeType="ADO"
' HTTP="true"
' Catalog=""
' Schema=""
Dim MM_connECHOHockey2
MM_connECHOHockey2_STRING = Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)} Dbq=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\echohockey\Database\echohoc keydb.mdb;
%>

I figured out why the pages that work, are working. They are referencing connECHOHockey.asp The problem is, that when I goto Application|Databases in DW, it only lists connECHOHockey2.asp When I go into the connECHOHockey2.asp database to add bindings, it says that it is unable to select tables with this connection. If I goto databases and test the connection I get this error...

"Format of the initialization string does not conform to the OLE DB specification".

I haven't gotten this error before. Not sure if this is progress or not.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
domedia
Administrator

ASP knowledge is sparse in this forum. It would be great to have some more of it it though.. Anyone out there that can collaborate on this ASP issue?
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote