logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Web Hosting and FTP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
JBD

Default Help with eshop homepage

I've mentioned this problem in another thread but thought I should create a new one in the correct category...

I've recently done an ebay shop for my mum

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Peruvianbab...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

and she wants something similar to this as her home page for her website. Now she also has a 1and1 Professional eshop package and I can't seem to find a suitable page (within the package) to use as a home page other than the 'about us' page that they provide. When I paste the html into this it shows up fine but I'm finding it hard to make the links to the categories work. The problem I get is when you click on a category all it does is duplicate the left side menu:

https://sslrelay.com/www.peruvianbab...dex.shopscript

Any advice on this would be much appreciated

p.s. this is not the final design for the website homepage as I have just taken it from the ebay shop for testing, hence some of the links still direct to ebay.

JBD
JBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
JBD

This should be the eshop link
Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
JBD

is there no one that can help me with this? If not then it looks like I stand little chance in solving this myself.

Perhaps even some suggestions as to why it could not be working, if not a complete solution...
Old 08-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
Mark_W

Its to do with the fact your using frames.

When you create each page do you just copy the HTML from the index.html page?

When you create a 2 frame html page you create 3 pages.

One frame which is the left hand column frame
A second which is the right hand column frame
A third file which displays frame one and two together.

What your doing wrong is your editing the third file then saving that file. You only need to edit the file you have the content you want to edit on then save that.
Mark_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
JBD

I see where you are coming from but the thing is I didn't intend to have frames as this is something that the eshop comes with. All I've done is paste in the html for the design on the right frame. I have also only designed one page (the index page) as any other pages within the eshop are just standard template pages from 1and1.

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well as I've said before I'm very new to this. I don't think there is an option, within the package, to get rid of the left hand side frame containing the menu. Basically this page is intended by 1and1 to be used as an 'About Us' page where you could say have a nice photo and a catchy paragraph of text to sell your company. I wanted to use this space more creatively and create a more standard style 'Homepage' with links to the various categories.

If like you say the frames are the issue then I'm not too sure how to go about modifying the whole html of this page as the package only lets me insert html into the right frame.

Any ideas?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
JBD

Ok guys and girls I've spotted something unusual with the eshop. If you visit this link it will take you to the homepage.

If you then, instead of clicking on the nice flashing boxes, click on product overview in the left side menu you will see a list of categories which should correspond with the categories on the homepage. Now I've notice each category you click on, the actual url does not change. Thus I cannot create links from the homepage to these categories as they all have the same url address. So my question is: does anyone know how to link to the categories if they don't have separate url's??? Someone on this site must understand how this works
Old 08-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
domedia
Administrator

They do have separate url's, but the main frameset does not change address.
You should contact the company you bought this shop from and have them help you with support. They've most likely got this question from alot of people.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
JBD

I'm with 1and1 and yes I have emailed them three times. Each response was a pathetic attempt to solve the problem - answers like "please check your eshop category settings" I've given up with them as they can barely string together an email that makes sense. Either lazy or useless!!!

Anyway rant over - I now realize that the shop uses some kind of script, even though I have know idea how scripts work. Basically after viewing the source of the product overview page I noticed that the links to the various pages are like these and not the typical http links I'm used to:

Code:
<a href="./0020_Earrings/product_overview.shopscript"
Therefore I now just need to change all the links to these script links and it should work fine.

So yeah, I've managed to solve my own question - Weh Hey!