logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Fireworks
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2006, 01:47 AM   #1
Jean

Default Layers in DW with Fireworks imports

Hi,
I'm using layers to place image-placeholders in my website...but i'm also importing fireworks document into these placeholders....I'm having weird problems such as the pop-up menu from fireworks wouldnt pop-out at the right location(but does so at some random spot on the website)...and some fireworks documents placed in these placeholders wont even display in IE6 but it displays in firefox.....I have no idea why the <div> tags mess things up...cause all the fireworks documents were working properly when I was using tables...
HELP!!

Thanx
Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 AM   #2
aimee

Default FW & DW layer problems

Hi Jean,
I, too, am having issues with layers in DW using images from FW. I sliced the image (a global nav bar) in FW and am trying to place the parts into the layers in DW and it is just not working! Here's the page so far: http://aimeebucher.com/sumc.html You can see the nav bar is in the wrong place. And when I try to add the last part of the nav bar, that part ends up in a completely different place on the page! yikes!
So, obviously, I'm not here to offer solutions... sorry! But, maybe we can help each other. Have you figured out any solutions for your page?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:38 AM   #3
edbr

what properties are you giving your layers, ie absolute, relative..? I tried your link aimee but nada!
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
aimee

Default layers

Hi!
I thought I checked the link before I posted. sorry! Try this one: http://aimeebucher.com/SUMC.html
Here is the code for the layers that I have up so far:
Code:
#logo_layer {
	position:absolute;
	width:780;
	height:93;
	z-index:1;
	left: 0;
	top: 0;
}
#navbar_layer {
	width:682;
	height:40;
	z-index:3;
	left: 97;
	top: 68;
}
Have I made glaring errors? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
Jean

hi aimee,
I visited your link......actally i wasnt having problems with the actual postioning of the fireworks doc,but it was the popup menu that popped out at some random places in the website..
shouldnt your layer specifications be this :

#logo_layer {
width:780;
height:93;
z-index:0;
}
#navbar_layer {
top: 93;
}

I changed it to have same z-indices and changed the top of navbar_layer to 93 as the height of logo_layer is 93...it should work!!
Old 06-26-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Jean

and btw..i noticed that you had links to each page..eg. mission,adult etc...and you defined layers for each one....so were you just gonna change the central layer part of the page when someone clicks on the link...if so,how do you do that?..

Thanx.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
aimee

Hi Jean,
Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the z-indices to 0. That didn't seem to help the positioning. I have attached a screen shot of the design view in DW. This is how it should be positioned. (I have the nav bar top set at 68 so it is right below the red bar in the logo.)
The other empty layers are for the drop-down menus. Evenutally, (assuming I can get this to work! lol) each of the nav bar items will have a drop down with 3-7 items for each.
But, I still can't get the stupid nav bar to be in the place that I have defined for it! Frustrating! Any other ideas?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
Jean

hmm....the only other thing i can think of is ,try setting the navbar top to 0px and make it relative to the logo layer..
eg :
</head>
<style type="text/css">

#navbar_layer {
position:relative;
}

</style>
</head>

<body>
<div id = "logo_layer"></div>
<div id = "navbar_layer">Nav bar from fireworks</div>
</body>

This outta work..(i hope it does!!)....if it doesnt i suggest you use a basic table for the overall layout...thats what i did when i started having a lot of problems with layers.....but a lot o ppl would disagree with me cause if a person learns how to use the css layers well,the sky is the limit they say!!!....
Old 06-26-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
aimee

Thanks Jean,
Good suggestion, but it didn't work. Everything looks right in DW, but is just not appearing correctly in the browser. I think I'm going to use a table for now (shhhh! don't tell anyone! lol) and read up some more on layers. There is obviously a lot that I need to learn. Thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
aimee

Default Figured it out!

Hi Jean,
Just wanted to let you know I figured out the problem. IE6.0 doesn't recoginze straight numbers. Have to have px at the end of each. Here's how the code looks now:
Code:
#logo_layer { 
   width:780px; 
   height:93px; 
} 
#navbar_layer { 
   width:682px; 
   height:40px; 
   left: 97px; 
   top: 68px; 
}
It looks good on my browser - now I have to start checking others & make sure it's all OK. Maybe I will be able to finish this project! lol