logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Photoshop
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
aestronza

Default RGB vs. CMYK ... HEEEELLLLPP!!!

I was given a Word document and I was asked to convert to a PDF. The file is a brochure that needs to be sent out for print, which means in my mind it should be at a minimum resolution of 150. However, they have come back to me and need this PDF document to be in CMYK mode!

Is there a setting somewhere in either Word 2000, or in Acrobat 7.0 Standard that will allow me to make this a smooth conversion that will allow them to print this brochure?

When I initially did the conversion the "printers" said that the text is not coming out in "black" (cmyk) so I need to get this thing to convert in 100% CMYK, which it didn't do initially ... HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!

aestronza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
davidj

word and acrobat are different monsters when looking at printing
acrobat was designed to be used online (probably only web safe or RGB)

word is not CMYK compliant as this is used for basic document types and is a word processor really with a few image bells and whistles thrown in

your going to need a dedicated application for print media like photoshop or quark or illustrator etc. you need to design the docs from scratch and setup your canvas to use CMYK colours.

CMYK was developed for print coz you can never get a true black using anything other (k = black)

CMYK is the print industry standard

NOTE: there are 3rd party plugins for acrobat that do colour mode conversions but i dont know how reliable they are

http://www.quite.com/box/

i cant see that if you create a pdf in RGB then how will the conversion take place??

anybody whos into this science please add their comments
Old 02-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
aestronza

Default CMYK vs. RGB response to davidj

Thank you so much for the prompt response ... have I ever mentioned how much I LOOOOOOOOOVE the Dreamweaver Club?

Everyone here is so helpful, even though there isn't a true solution to this one because this document is being passed on to me, not created by me.

Thanks again davidj!
Old 02-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
davidj

didnt really help (sorry)

give it time.
someone will come back and prove me wrong
Old 02-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Creative Insanity
Banned

Like dj said, CMYK is the print industry standard and the only way you are going to get this to work is use Photoshop (since this is the best app for print work) and take all the images into that and then change their mode to CMYK. As for the text, you will need to lay it all out again in something like page maker (dont use PS for text, it sucks as ps is not a vector program).
The only way this is going from RGB to CMYK is with a complete redo sorry.
The mode change for the images is not the perfect solution, but it is the best you are going to get with what was handed to you.
Creative Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
blanchard

hello aestronza,
I can only tell you what I use at work Enfocus Pitstop Pro this works with Acrobat which will enable you to convert colour formats and other specifications within a pdf whilst viewing it through acrobat.

We are always getting adverts sent in via isdn or email saved as RGB .pdf's wrong res full colour black. Normally that's down to lack of communication wrong info. So if the originator can't sort it and resend it we open the .pdf in acrobat select the text we want to change and set cyan, magenta and yellow all to 0% leaving only the black at 100% and then just save.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
aestronza

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

blanchard, I'm going to check into Enfocus Pitstop Pro ...
Old 02-28-2006, 03:10 AM   #8
triplemoons

Minimum resolution for the printing industry is 300dpi. A printer will use lower then that, but they won't guarantee the quality of the print.

Pitstop and Quite a Box of Tricks are Acrobat plugins that can convert RGB to CMYK (among other fun stuff). I know Pistop is a program that must be purchased, I'm not sure on Quite a Box of Tricks however.
triplemoons is offline   Reply With Quote