logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Graphic Design > Fireworks
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2004, 12:29 AM   #1
cdingman

Do you use fireworks for graphic design?

I use it in conjunction with photoshop, mostly to do thiings like image maps and rollovers.

Cabaret Theatre
Designs by Dingman
cdingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
underzen

I have played around with it in the past. I could just never break away from photoshop. How well does fireworks handle image maps and rollovers?
underzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
cdingman

The thing that fireworks does with image maps and rollovers is it will automatically slice th images up and create the Javascript code for you which you can insert directly into your page in DW....

I still use photoshop alot as well - I use the two together when creating designs as both have features the other doesn't.

Cabaret Theatre
Designs by Dingman
Old 06-11-2004, 02:56 AM   #4
natimage

I use both Photoshop and Fireworks. Each has certain things that I like and don't like! It's quite easy to do the rollovers and image maps in Fireworks, although i've been told that the javascript it produces is rather bulky! I don't know js...so I'm only taking someone elses word for it!!!
natimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:49 AM   #5
cdingman

I'll say that it more than likely is but it sure beats hand-coding it LOL...

Not to mention slicing up the images the way Fireworks can...

Cabaret Theatre
Designs by Dingman
Old 06-11-2004, 05:51 AM   #6
natimage

I DO love the slicing...no doubt about that!!
natimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
domedia
Administrator

I guess I'm the black sheep in here , I've been using Photoshop for a very long time. I tried a trial version of Fireworks once, personally I didn't think it could compare to Photoshop and never tried it again. I guess the new versions of Fireworks have more features.

For those of you that use both programs, how do they compare?
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:47 PM   #8
gmcrone

The main difference between Photoshop and Fireworks (in my opinion, anyway)
is that Fireworks is intended to be a WEB graphic creation medium. Its native vector illustration capabilities far outweigh those in Photoshop. It also creates the html needed for sliced graphics along with the js code. Photoshop on the other hand needs Image Ready to do these chores.
However Photoshop shines in image manipulation and can work with dozens of image formats.
For creating web graphics and web components as well as entire web pages, Fireworks is the choice.
For manipulating photographic images, and creating images from scratch, Photoshop is the best choice.
They do play well together though. Create your graphics in Photoshop and import them into Fireworks to web enable them..

Mike...

gmcrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:24 PM   #9
cdingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcrone
is that Fireworks is intended to be a WEB graphic creation medium. Its native vector illustration capabilities far outweigh those in Photoshop. It also creates the html needed for sliced graphics along with the js code. Photoshop on the other hand needs Image Ready to do these chores.
However Photoshop shines in image manipulation and can work with dozens of image formats.
For creating web graphics and web components as well as entire web pages, Fireworks is the choice.
For manipulating photographic images, and creating images from scratch, Photoshop is the best choice.
They do play well together though. Create your graphics in Photoshop and import them into Fireworks to web enable them..

Mike...
Absolutely - Photoshop is far better at doing things like editing and image manipulation. When doing web based graphic design, you really do need both to be able to create a decent looking page.

I also use either Freehand or Illustrator if needbe to create things such as logos and other graphics that might be needed in vector format.

I would personally be lost without either fireworks or photoshop (not to mention freehand or illustrator) as having all three makes graphic design SO much easier, IMHO.

I am not an artist in any way shape or form but PS and FW very seriously make me look like one

Cabaret Theatre
Designs by Dingman
Old 09-01-2004, 12:17 AM   #10
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcrone

Mike...
I don't see anything in Fireworks that makes it better for web design. Web design is a very exact art and exporting CSS and HTML from Fireworks is not only extremely easy, but it also makes your website extremely heavy. Which in todays age of search engine friendly sites, extra code is a major no-no. Photoshop can be used to design images at any resolution, but Fireworks is not suitable for that same process. It lacks the physical and virtual memory control that makes it a chore to do high res work. Sure, it was DEVELOPED for screen graphics, but i believe it is handicapped. I started to use Fireworks back when the debate about the GIF copyright laws were up in the air and that PNGs would be the new standard for graphics, but that has never happened. The drawing aspect in fireworks is better than the previous versions and Photoshop (due to its basis in vector imaging), but I will still always use an Illustrator or a Freehand as a base for anything i need to create from scratch, then I will always bring it into Photoshop. For the folks who want the gamut of mediums covered, Photoshop is your best bet. For the folks who want a simpler program to design their graphics and DHTML menus and rollovers, and export their bulky HTML (sinful and scandalous), Fireworks is the best bet. But once again, there's really nothing that can sell me on Fireworks. Its decent at best, and since the addition of ImageReady, I think Fireworks is becoming obsolete. Sure it works well with Flash, but so do other vector programs like Freehnad, InDesign and Illustrator. For a professional, its Photoshop. Illustrate in other programs, compose and alter in photoshop.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote