Old 05-20-2004, 02:04 AM   #2
domedia
Administrator

Welcome to the forum Peter!

Great to have an experienced Photoshop user here
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Ross

I wouldn't min dknowing the best way to start learning how to make templates? I have good ideas for designs but can never do them myself and it is hard getting what you want over to another designer.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:30 AM   #4
underzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
I wouldn't min dknowing the best way to start learning how to make templates? I have good ideas for designs but can never do them myself and it is hard getting what you want over to another designer.
I was the worst when it came to designing a website that was appealing to the eyes. I am backend programmer so design was never a specialty of mine.

Over the past year I have devoted a lot of time honing my Photoshop skills. I used to purchase templates in the past because I could not for the life of me think of a design, they always turned out horrible. After purchasing numerous templates I was able to pickup on some tips that other designers used in Photoshop. Now I only design my own sites, sure they are nothing compared to Ceonex.com or anything.

One of the things I do for a new site is first go around and look at the competitions designs. I get my ideas and inspiration from there. I'll look at several competitorsí sites for about a day. The next day I will fire up Photoshop and start designing without going back to the competitorsí sites. I find that this allows me to go on memory from what I have seen from my competitorsí sites. And what ends up happening is that ideas from all the sites I have seen get morphed into something that I came up with. Looking at the competitorsí websites or just well designed websites in general help to get the creative side of my brain going, be it a small one.

I always start with a simple 800x600 Photoshop canvas. I always work from the top down concentrating on the header first. Not only do I try to make the colors flow I also want to make sure that the skeleton of the front page flows. For example I wouldn't have a rounded header and then use squares for the navigation. If I am working with a dark blue theme then I try to have the base colors like the background of the nav and the right and left boxes all in a dark shade of blue or black or grey. For the navigation I tend to use a color that stands out but not something like a bright yellow. I would normally use a slightly dark orange that is easy on the eyes. This stands out to the user as something important but itís not an eye sore.

Something I can't stand are very busy websites with flash navigation and flash headers and flash here and there and colors bursting all over the place. I prefer to have one base or two base colors from which I work off of.

Hope this helps a bit .

By the way I still suck at web design but I'm slowly getting better
underzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
cdingman

I agree - I hate sites that insist upon using all 16.7 million colors available to them and that have more animation and flash than an anime movie LOL...

I try to use one or two (or maybe three) colors that work well togther.

For example, in the site I'm working on now I used right, black and white in various shades and hues to create a site that is appealling to eyes and still comes across as clean and not too loud.

I think they should outlaw the use of bright neon colors and flash animation in mass quantity on the web as it does hurt they eyes LOL

Cabaret Theatre
Designs by Dingman
cdingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
underzen

It hurts the eyes and is such a turn off. About the only place I like to see flash that it doesn't bother me is like on yahoo when they are running an ad for a movie trailer or something.
underzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:37 AM   #7
cdingman

Actually I think that's when flash is most annoying but i guess it really is about the best use of it

Cabaret Theatre
Designs by Dingman
cdingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:03 AM   #8
QPod

I am a total newbie as far as Photoshop goes does anyone know where I could get some decent tutorials from. :blink:
thanks peeps in advance
QPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 07:50 PM   #9
gmcrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by QPod
I am a total newbie as far as Photoshop goes does anyone know where I could get some decent tutorials from. :blink:
thanks peeps in advance
The 2 best places for tutorials are:
Right from the source at http://adobe.com
And from The National Association Of Photoshop Professionals
http://www.photoshopuser.com
The second site is a membership only site, but well worth the price.

There are literally thousands of free tutorials on the web, just do a Google search on photoshop AND tutorial

Mike....
gmcrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:58 PM   #10
digi_mediaguru

Hey boys and girls

I use Photoshop CS 8 hrs or more a day so if anyone has any questions let me know... I pretty much can say that there is not one thing that I have not used in PS CS except some filters and what not but yea if anyone has any Qs let me know and I would be more than happy to give you my input as soon as I can.

Im Gody by the way. Nice meeting you all B)
www.nanonation.net
Lincoln, NE
digi_mediaguru is offline   Reply With Quote