logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Hand Coders Forum > ASP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
LaserSailor

Default asp or php with mysql

I am new to making a web based db. Trying to decide if I should use php with mysql or asp with mysql. I have some MS Access coding experience as well as VBA, but no C, C+ or php experience. I want to try both in a test web server environment. I have Dreamweaver CS4 and Access 2007. From what I have read it seems that Access has some problems with multiple users, so I am leaning toward mysql as the backend. I have installed mysql and phpadmin with xampp. I also have IIS on the same machine. I am confused by the basics of what determines the "local host" if both IIS and mysql are on the same machine. Using xampp I can see that you have to start the mysql service, but does that conflict with IIS which seems like it is always running. If I am trying to set up a test server using asp and mysql what services do I need to have running and are there other services that should not be running.

This application will have some detailed data reporting functions and I need to have record sets restricted to authorized users (all records for all companies will be in the database, but must be filtered by which authorized customer is accessing the data)

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
edbr

i personally would recomend mysql rather than access and for that reason would go with php, and yes am sure that running both iis and apache on the same machine will create conflict unless each has its own IP address somehow rather than localhost, in any case i would whichever you do not need when you make your choice php or asp

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
Old 04-11-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
LaserSailor

Default asp or php with mysql

Thanks for your response. I have found more information and now understand that IIS can be a web server for both asp and php. Don't need Apache so I have uninstalled it. I am still trying to decide on whether to use asp or php. It probably rests on the assistance I can get in building secure access to my data reports. I want to collect information from all customers in the database, but reporting will be limited to data specific to an individual customer. I have friends that do asp professionally, but understand there is a lot of php help resources available on the web. Before anyone can even get to the reports, they will have to log in to the "Customer Center" to get to the part of the web site that contains the database. Then, the reports they get from the data will have to be customer specific.

Further direction/comments would be appreciated

Last edited by LaserSailor; 04-11-2010 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: add comment
Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
tux

Location: Isle of Wight, that little island right at the bottom of the UK

I agree with Edbr. Mysql is a much more robust database than Access and I would choose PHP over ASP any day. If you are learning to code this yourself then you will find much more help and advice with regards to PHP than you will ASP.

This website contains very good tutorials with regards learning PHP. You might want to check them out,. it may help you decide. There is a beginners guide here. Its where I started about 18 months ago and learnt enough to start building DB driven sites straight away, learning as I went.

As for which server to use, I use Apache as it is much more secure and comes as a package with WAMP etc., but thats your choice.

A huge amount of help is available here on this forum whatever you decide but my vote would be for MYSQL, PHP & APACHE.

Good luck.

Paul
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
derickwilliams

You are right edbr, Mysql is backhand of PHP or ASP.
Closed Thread