logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Web Hosting and FTP
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
sausagedude

Exclamation Dreamweaver Mystery....

I have started a 'new site' on dreamweaver, and established an ftp connection to my host. I click connectto my 'remote host' on dreamweaver which works, but when I press 'put', it processes it and even tells me what bytes are loading etc and thats it, so I presume it has put it to the internet, but when I check the internet domain my website is still blank. Anyone have any ideas why it is doing this? My files are saved under .dwt and I saved them under .htm and .php and then 'put' them and still no website shows.

I have contacted my host server and they just told me if I established the connection ok it should work.
sausagedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
DWcourse

Lots of possible issues:

1. You didn't have the site set up correctly to you put the files to the wrong directory on the server.

2. .dwt are template files and not meant to be used on the web - only as templates for the creation of new pages. Your comment suggests you really don't understand how Dreamweaver works.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
sausagedude

Yes I am a dreamweaver virgin. So what should I save my files to if not dwt? When I go to save I save it under 'all file types' and it creates the .dwt at the end of the file.

How do I check what directory it is in on the server?

Thanks for your help.
sausagedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
vapidrob

Some web hosts like GoDaddy make you "preview" the site before making it live. The files may be on the server, but when you look at it, they have it off. First we need to determine if it's your webhost.

Send them a help ticket to see if they can walk through w you on it. HTH.
vapidrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
domedia
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausagedude View Post
Yes I am a dreamweaver virgin. So what should I save my files to if not dwt?
If you are new to Dreamweaver, it's really important that you at least read the first chapters in the manual that deals with how you set it up, and the basic functionality.
domedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
johnMoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWcourse View Post
Lots of possible issues:

You didn't have the site set up correctly or you put the files to the wrong directory on the server.

2. .dwt are template files and not meant to be used on the web - only as templates for the creation of new pages. Your comment suggests you really don't understand how Dreamweaver works.
.dwt files serve other pages. Don't you have some ending in .html or .php?

If you do, and things aren't showing up, go look at your files on the server. What is the path? If all is set up correctly in dreamweaver and you are able to display a page when you test it by displaying in your browser, then what has happened is your site management is flawed. You can prove this by examining your path logic on the server. 10 cents says you have inadvertently added one additional file path to the url.

htdocs/site/index.html

should be htdocs/index.html (or home.html or whatever your page name is)