logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Community Talk > Job Offers and Inquiries
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
daisy

Default cheap template websites and designer?

Hi,
I'm a teacher and my principle has asked me if I could help with creating a new school (primary) website as they don't have anything at all and none of the staff have any web or even IT experience. The budget is also very limited for this.

We would like to use a template as the site is going to be basic. The question is where do I go from here? Are there any good template websites out there as the plan is to buy a template and give it to a designer to input the content. And once its up and running we plan to just use a website like buildorlite.com to edit changes.

Is this the best course of action? Would a designer charge much to do this - on average - it is only going to be 7 page website on a template? Any help would be much appreciated as I'm way out of my depth here!
Thanks
daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Corrosive

Hi Daisy

I'd say that most designers out there would be more comfortable creating something from scratch. It needn't be too expensive either if it is a simple layout. Personally I'd turn down a job where someone asked me to work with someone else's template/code. It can sometimes be more trouble than it is worth.

I'm sure you will find designers out there who will happily do it and, in fact, that is probably the basis of their business. Just be aware of what you are getting for your money.

Buildor lite is a good choice. I know the guy who is behind it Other options include asking your chosen designer to build the website round a simple CMS like ModX where you can do the same.

What is the budget?
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
daisy

Hi Corrosive,
Thanks for getting back to me. The budget is around 300 - 400. Would it be possible to get a simple site up for that amount?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Corrosive

Yes, absolutely. As long as you realise you won't get any bells and whistles for that but you should be able to get a well coded website you can update yourself with a simple design.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
d a v e

<shameless plug for work>
Daisy - I'm a freelance designer, a regular on this forum and used to working with people on a limited budget.
If you're interested in pm-ing me or emailing me at davepk[at]anvianet.fi i would be happy to take some details and chat about some possibilities.

I notice you have a budget in euros - where are you based? (incidentally I'm English and i've been living in Finland for the last 9 years )
</shamless plug>

and of course there are many other able people on this forum who could be be hired too

dave prescott
d a v e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
edbr

I have moved this thread to job offers

Flight / Hotel search
Free script download
Bali Villas
edbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
daisy

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to speak to my principal now to find out exactly what she wants in the website and I will get back to you.

Thnaks