logo-dw

Go Back   Dreamweaver Club Forums > Dreamweaver forums > Spry
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
up4dw

Default Why use spry?

I use spry because I was not sure how else to make a vertical menu at the time. I had not done any web publishing for a while and the last thing I new was front page and all the problems front page caused. So some how I managed to make something work that I am sort of happy with however my sites are basic and I have no plans for ajax.

Is a spry menu better for some reason? seems like a little more overhead. what about computability? Is a spry menu more or less compatible with old browsers?

I found this site that pretty much shows how to make a list do the same thing. http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listutorial/index.htm

Seems like some compatibility issues with lists.
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamat...er-support.htm

Does spy more compatible?

Solar Electric
up4dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Corrosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by up4dw View Post
I use spry because I was not sure how else to make a vertical menu at the time. I had not done any web publishing for a while and the last thing I new was front page and all the problems front page caused. So some how I managed to make something work that I am sort of happy with however my sites are basic and I have no plans for ajax.

Is a spry menu better for some reason? seems like a little more overhead. what about computability? Is a spry menu more or less compatible with old browsers?

I found this site that pretty much shows how to make a list do the same thing. http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listutorial/index.htm

Seems like some compatibility issues with lists.
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamat...er-support.htm

Does spy more compatible?
There is very little reason to use spry apart from the effects you can do if you want to. I see loads of users on here use spry for really simple menus, which could be done in CSS, and get in a terrible mess. It's whatever suits your needs but you have to understand what will be the best solution for you and your site.
Corrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
mjclementz

Yeah I gave up on Spry after I would get everything perfect and then the next time I went to check it it was all kinds of screwed up.

Just to warn you though, that link you gave... the code has some validation issues. Nothing big, but if you're a purist it would be sloppy.
mjclementz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
TracyKong

I too don't know where to start for vertical menu, so I use spry menu. Now I see the code and your link, I will try to make my own menu.
TracyKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
up4dw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyKong View Post
I too don't know where to start for vertical menu, so I use spry menu. Now I see the code and your link, I will try to make my own menu.
Check out what i finaly came up with on my sites www.hardydiesel.com and www.hardysolar.com I am a lot hapier with it and it is very basic.

Solar Electric
Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
TracyKong

up4dw,
Nice looking menu.
I saw you have page link at the very bottom of the page, I would put another on the top as well.
TracyKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
kcmartz

Default RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by up4dw View Post
Check out what i finaly came up with on my sites www.hardydiesel.com and www.hardysolar.com I am a lot hapier with it and it is very basic.
NICE WEBSITES! I LOVE THEM!
kcmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
up4dw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmartz View Post
NICE WEBSITES! I LOVE THEM!
Thank you KC

Solar Electric