Dreamweaver Club Forums

Dreamweaver Club Forums (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum//index.php)
-   Fireworks (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   I made my banner/logo/header, whatever, (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum//showthread.php?t=40557)

nwcountry 06-01-2011 06:03 PM

I made my banner/logo/header, whatever,

:mrgreen: and now comes the part that I don't see directions if it doesn't fit right on my webpage. Edbr has helped me with the trick of putting in a 1px slice of my banner from one end and inserting that into the CSS properties for the header. It works to a degree but I still end up with little, white lines. My canvas is set to transparent so I don't know how this happens. My banner size is 1024 X 150.

Anyway, without "guessing" I wanted to enlist your help now rather than after I have created a monster. My website is tocatchamiracle.com and I will "put" the file up now so you guys can see it. If you need me to copy and paste my code here let me know too.

Thanks in advance, Denise

d a v e 06-01-2011 07:47 PM

do you mean little white line in the image itself??
if that is what you mean then i think that it's because the gradient is too blunt. gradients in real life (ie light falling on a coloured object) don't really go from a solid colour through to white

if i may be so bold (i usually may :) ) i knocked this up quickly
http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/header.jpg

nwcountry 06-01-2011 07:53 PM

I started my banner over. But there is still a problem, it is too long now. Is this something I have to go back into DW and "guess" what width? Or, do I do something to make it fit any screen. I'll go look at your link as it may answer my question:) Thank you much!!!! Denise PS Please take a look if you like, at the new banner I just "put" on my site, tocatchamiracle.com

domedia 06-01-2011 08:07 PM

You're supposed to use a background image for the gradient.

Create a gradient that is only 10px wide for example, and the correct height.
Now repeat it as you background image:

Code:

background: url(gradient.jpg) repeat-x;

nwcountry 06-02-2011 03:55 PM

Oh sorry, didn't see this, gotcha and thank you for breaking it into simpler terms for me, LOL:) denise;) Wait, I may have misunderstood but you say to make my whole background from a gradient?? It already is? So the 8px would be from that gradient? Are you saying I need a different canvas? My canvas is transparent so it should be an issue right? Yes, the lines are white. I am misunderstanding no doubt, denise

domedia 06-02-2011 05:11 PM

Back to basics, you need to learn how the CSS background property works :)

Then you set a background image, and put your logo on top of it.

johnMoss 06-03-2011 03:10 AM

About that light reading.... :)

nwcountry 06-03-2011 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domedia (Post 195413)
Back to basics, you need to learn how the CSS background property works :)

Then you set a background image, and put your logo on top of it.

Ok but I have learned to drive a car without knowing how it works because someone showed me. Are you guys just here to tell me what class to take? I mean, I don't care if that's the case. But I just needed to understand that. If someone asks me how to make spaghetti, I'm not going to give them a recipe, I'm going to show them how, step by step.

Thanks guys:) bye for now:) denise

johnMoss 06-03-2011 03:28 AM

Aw now D, it's not that at all. A better analogy is that some of the questions you're asking are covering very basic material. In all seriousness you gotta remember grade school. You learned the alphabet, and remember those 1st & second grade math tests? Elements of all tasks are always broken down into their most primitive compositions, at which level it is assumed you understand. You can't learn words, you can't do math, unless you grasp the very basic elements.
Nobody's pickin' on ya I assure you...:)

nwcountry 06-03-2011 03:49 AM

exactly, so I will go to school and I don't need you guys, bye:)