PDA

View Full Version : Remote or testing server info needed

vinnyvangogh
06-21-2016, 11:46 PM
I look after a website for a company - who to boost "Social Media" have called in a firm of SEO merchants. They have server access.
I think they are also able to access back to my computer. Although I cannot find any info that says they can. I do remember the FTP app asking me to accept incoming connections - and just assumed it was normal.

As a test I changed the folder name and moved it to desktop rather than the Apple Mac "websites" location on the HDD. Now I cannot access the server although its spends time looking for files before a pop up advises to contact server admin etc,.

Q. Was the "accept incoming connections" the SEO remote server looking for the web files ? And if so am I correct thinking now it cannot fins them - it does not allow access to the server rather than the sub-domain I know they got an SSL cert.

TIA

edbr
06-22-2016, 02:05 AM
As a test I changed the folder name and moved it to desktop rather than the Apple Mac "websites" location on the HDD. Now I cannot access the server although its spends time looking for files before a pop up advises to contact server admin etc,.how are you trying to access the server?

i dont get why the seo mob are looking on your computer is it not addressing the live site? personally a would not have allowed access, but of course we all know SEO companies are virtuous to a fault , all saints in training

vinnyvangogh
06-22-2016, 04:52 AM
how are you trying to access the server?

i dont get why the seo mob are looking on your computer is it not addressing the live site? personally a would not have allowed access, but of course we all know SEO companies are virtuous to a fault , all saints in training
Hi,
Hope I have not confused you. I use Fetch and Apple OS FTP app for normal FTP connection to a hosting server.
My issue is can an SEO team in the UK. who I know have a SSL certificate for a remote server access - use that to get on my computer in Australia?

I dont use remote or testing servers - I create a website on a computer and then upload the files to the hosting server.

edbr
06-22-2016, 07:21 AM
i doubt it but i am not sure re that odd message re accepting inbound connections, check any network logs or firewall logs and i would think any incursion will be there. i would also look for any firewall exclusions you have and modify to suit

vinnyvangogh
06-22-2016, 07:36 AM
i doubt it but i am not sure re that odd message re accepting inbound connections, check any network logs or firewall logs and i would think any incursion will be there. i would also look for any firewall exclusions you have and modify to suit
Thanks for that - I did check the settings...but never thought about logs.

The server is 1and1 UK and I also have hosting with the same company ( they moved at my suggestion after Demon blew their email for a couple days) My own login has never asked me to accept incoming connections.
And After I denied that request on their server - i have not yet been able to login.
I know the SEO are doing what they do..ie putting me down and looking to grab the business - so it could be with the companies permission.
I know they have had a long standing fear ( after we moved to Aussie ) that I would either just walk away and leave them without cover - or wipe the server. Having been an employee - later customer and friends over 30 + years - I cannot figure what I did - have done - to make them think that. Obviously they are not aware its illegal for me to do that.

In a way you are involved in all this... will get back when the game is over and explain why!! I expect a change at month end....

vinnyvangogh
06-23-2016, 01:21 AM
how are you trying to access the server?

just to expand on this....
I did not give them login details - the website owner did. I think because it was already decided to replace me ( I have explained my thoughts on why)
The alternative is - that if the owners is NOT thinking of rep;acing me - then the SEO team are creating busted links to demean my use of template rather than coding - not a professional webby status to give grounds for being replaced by a UK based city wizz kid firm of smart ass professionals - who use the be all and end all of templates - WordPress!
Since the SEO team came in... a website that has been stable for 12 months - is suddenly getting busted links complaints!
There is also the money aspect I get a monthly retainer to cover all needed updates/uploads etc,. and keep it Search Engines / Mobile friendly - which it is. But to a firm getting a few hours to play with Facebook and the other social media stuff - my pay must seem attractive.

And again... me and the company both use 1and 1 UK hosting. I access y ftp login - no problems - now- I cannot access theirs - since I moved and renamed any folder with the website files and also removed it from DWCS6 list of sites.
So my guess was that some form or remote access was looking for the files and now cannot "see" them.

Its a situation I would foresee IF a team in different locations were each working on a website by remote or testing server access... and one user did what I did..ie move, delete and rename files and connection to DW.

As before - will keep you advised.

Was just hoping others with a better knowledge of remote access, server/ftp.